Talk

Advanced search

Bad karma to dig up a 40yr old Hebe? Would you?

(2 Posts)
eviz Fri 26-Sep-08 14:36:19

Live in a 60's semi withlovely mature gardens. House had original owner in till lasy yr when we bought it. He was clearly avid gardner but over last few yrs he was in a home and house was tenanted, so garden has run totally wild.

Front garden is small - patch of lawn shared with adjoining neighbour - then approx 2ft bed before path and house. There are 3 HUGE bushes dominating the bed, one of which is a massive Hebe. I really want to take it out and plant a small ornamental tree, as the Hebe in particular totally dominates what quite a small garden..

Was going to try to transplant it but friendly neighbours sucked in teeth when I suggested it - roots could be huge they reckon.

Seems so sad to chop it up, not sure what to do.

LouMacca Fri 26-Sep-08 21:12:49

Your house sounds just like mine smile

TBH I thought that the Hebe had shallow roots like the Rhododendron.

I dug a very old Rhododendron up fairly easily. Choppped it all down first and then dug up the roots.

I admit I did feel a bit guilty and sad chopping it up but I did want to put my own mark on my garden. I think an ornamental tree sounds perfect. I put a miniture acer in and its lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now