Talk

Advanced search

What bulbs can I force to flower for Christmas?

(10 Posts)
mrsflowerpot Tue 23-Sep-08 09:57:40

And when do I need to plant them?

I'm wanting to plant some bulbs up with the kids for Christmas presents - would obviously like them to have started to flower when we give them to people. I was thinking red hyacinths - was planning to plant them up this weekend and keep them warm and dark, is there anything special I need to do?

Or any suggestions for other bulbs that would be better?

Lizzylou Tue 23-Sep-08 09:59:00

Oh, I was wondering about this.
I am sure I saw a thread about this and someone (Expat??) was saying she was planting hyacinths. I thought it would be a lovely idea for grandparents/teachers etc

mrsflowerpot Tue 23-Sep-08 10:02:56

oops, I mean cool and dark, not warm and dark. Have read that people put them in the fridge,but that was on scary hard-core gardening forum, so I wanted to check what real people did!

mrsflowerpot Tue 23-Sep-08 10:05:40

Bit more searching has found me this, Lizzy:

www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/seedsbulbs/forcing.asp

fortyplus Tue 23-Sep-08 10:07:22

Hyacinths, Paperwhite Narcissi (strongly scented), Crocuses all need cool and dark. Garden shed with a cover to keep out the light is fine. Don't forget to keep checking them and bring them in when shoots appear. Make sure you buy the prepared bulbs - they've already gone through an enforced 'winter'. The normal ones won't flower in time.
Amarillis are blowsy but lots of people like them. They can be kept in a warm dark place - they don't need the cool stage.

Oh... and what do I do? I keep them in an old fridge! grin

Lizzylou Tue 23-Sep-08 10:41:08

LOl at "scary hard-core gardening fofum"!!!

That article was good and also your advice, Fortyplus. Do you think that it would be OK in our draughty garage? We rarely go in and there are many dark corners to hide the bulbs in?

Lizzylou Tue 23-Sep-08 10:41:30

forum

expatinscotland Tue 23-Sep-08 10:43:51

hyacinths and paper whites here.

they're perfect in the freezing cold utility room my father nicknamed 'the refrigerator room'.

be sure to label them!

plant them nose up, too.

mrsflowerpot Tue 23-Sep-08 12:23:51

thank you expat and fortyplus - sounds like a project for this weekend all sorted!

Lizzylou Tue 23-Sep-08 13:25:55

With your name, MrsF, would have thought you'd have it down pat wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now