Talk

Advanced search

Come on then....how on earth do I get rid of the ivy clinging to our home..?

(10 Posts)
shhhh Sat 20-Sep-08 19:26:16

I planed it around 4 years ago with the aim of it covering the unsightly sky tv wires that the cable man seemed to have wrapped around our home hmm....

Now as lovely as it looks its now worrying me as its starting to let itself into our home via the windows and patio doors hmm shock. Can I remove this easily or am I right in thinking its going to be a pita..? Would our gardener be able to do it..? HELP PLEASE..!!!
TIA X

expatinscotland Sat 20-Sep-08 19:27:27

it also contributes to damp getting into your house.

it's very easily gotten rid of, though.

our landlord left this thing that scrapes it right off.

i love to scrape it off, it's very catharatic.

shhhh Sat 20-Sep-08 19:31:46

BUT expat, forgot to add...our home is 3 floors..and it goes to the roof...I would love to do it BUT I also hate spiders etc blush so wouldn't be the best for the job..want to get dh to do it but you know what men are like...hmm

so its easy to remove....

expatinscotland Sat 20-Sep-08 19:55:28

it's pretty easy to remove.

i have to set up a climbing frame to get to some of ours because this house is built into a hillside.

give it a go, too. it's great! you can get really aggro and think 'Die, Ivy! Die!'

mumblechum Sat 20-Sep-08 20:01:15

Our house was totally swamped until a couple of years ago when we finally got some builders in to take it off. It was so thick that it came off in mats, with the pattern of the brickwork on the roots!

We rather stupidly left a couple of corner bits on which are now up to roof level again so will have to get someone to get the whole lot taken off. We paid about £2.5k iirc to have the worst of it taken off but it was a 3 day job & involved scaffolding.

If you do decide to get rid of it, have the stumps painted with special poisonous stuff & keep repainting them.

We're now growing Virginia creeper (much less insidious), clematis, wisteria & climbing roses on trellises which will eventually cover up the mess that is now the brickwork.

Good luck!

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 20-Sep-08 20:08:29

If you're getting rid of it completely I'd cut it close to the ground first. Let it die off for a while and then pull it off.

shhhh Sat 20-Sep-08 20:12:37

£2.5k mumblechum shock WTF...................... All for a £3 ivy...shock..Crumbs, better try and keep in dh's good books..hmm.

LOL expat at "die ivy die". I think that everytime I look at the bloody thing angry

saggar,would it work if we cut the bottom parts..? how long would it take before we could pull it off..???

GentleOtter Sat 20-Sep-08 20:16:52

Bang a few wedges of copper pipe into it at the base. It will die.

shhhh Sat 20-Sep-08 20:23:45

[puzzled emoticon]...Speak to me gentleotter, in words I can understand..
Just bits of copper pipe..from somewhere like b&q..? and just break the stem with it..? Sorry to sound dumb...blush. Im crap at gardening and even worse at diy grin.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 20-Sep-08 22:40:24

If it's thick use a hacksaw, it will take a while to die but you can pull it off once it starts to go brown and it will be less likely to bring half your brickwork with it.

Never heard of the copper thing. Worth atry though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now