bald
worm hills
yellowy

what do i need to know to make it a beatiful green lawn

sorry if daft questions never had a lwan before

what do i need to know??
thanks for reading

WilfSell Fri 19-Sep-08 21:05:15

I'm no expert but I have some ideas (BTW there are lawn experts who you can pay just to sort your lawn out, if you can afford it)

1. Spike it with a lawn spiker. Fill holes with sand to help drainage. If you have a real drainage problem you might need to sort that out with more radical action

2. Buy some weed and seed stuff. Follow instructions on packet

3. Yellowing not sure about but check if it is shaded by trees etc.

4. Wouldn't worry about worm casts - they'll be doing it some good I would have thought.

5. Mow regularly in growing season - at least once a week in high summer if still moist (not if really dry)

6. Rake in spring and autumn to pull up dead thatch.

There's probably more but that should start you off.

Majeika Fri 19-Sep-08 21:06:01

ring Greenthumb

They will sort it out for you

PeaMcLean Fri 19-Sep-08 21:22:48

The one thing we learned this year:

If you use weed and feed, make sure it's evenly and not too thickly spread. If you leave it in clumps (like DH did, hmm) it will burn the good grass and you'll be left with patches.

The problem we haven't resolved is getting grass to grow which matches the rest of the lawn. We used seed but now have two shades of green going on.

ScaryYellow Fri 19-Sep-08 21:28:46

thanks some stuff to be getting onwit h = lawn spiker - would that be like a rake ?

cariboo Fri 19-Sep-08 21:43:30

You can use a rake or even buy spikes to attach to your shoes but my neighbor uses an electric machine called a scarifier which works brilliantly. It looks a terrible mess at first but once you've raked up the scarified grass, it's the best thing for an ailing lawn. I borrow hers - magic. Then fertilizer/weed killer, watering, mowing, sunlight, etc. One big mistake that I've been stupid enough to make twice - using spot weedkiller. Lawn looks like it's been napalmed. Never do this!

WilfSell Fri 19-Sep-08 21:48:06

there's spiking for drainage and scarifying (basically raking up the dead grass) they're two different things. Rake or said scarifier for the latter; spiky shoes, or garden fork applied all over for the former...

cariboo Fri 19-Sep-08 22:07:01

Thanks for clarifying. Everything I know about lawns (& that isn't much!) is from hard experience and reading. It's tough work, for sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now