Talk

Advanced search

just found this in my conservatory

(7 Posts)
Marne Wed 17-Sep-08 13:27:08

isn't he lovely And he will turn into a beautiful privet hawk month ,tha largest moth in the uk.

I just need to find a spot in the garden for him where the dog can't get him.

amazonianadventure Wed 17-Sep-08 14:11:05

he is lovely.

keep us posted with pictures

Marne Wed 17-Sep-08 14:20:12

I have just taken him to my neighbours house as im not good at looking after small creatures, she is going to put him in her conservatory, she has found him a small privet bush to munch on and hopefuly he can make his cacoon and stay in her conservatory till next year.

Seems a bit meen keeping him but it will be great for the children to watch.

throckenholt Wed 17-Sep-08 14:21:44

we've had those - if I recall they like apple trees and hazel too - f you have any of those.

they are surprisingly big aren't they.

Marne Wed 17-Sep-08 14:32:02

We have hardly any plants/trees in our garden, i don't know where he came from, they are huge and beautiful.

throckenholt Wed 17-Sep-08 14:34:22

actually I found on the net they like lilac - so that is probably why you found him on that - I am sure we didn't though (fairly certain it was on the apple - it definitely wasn't in the privet !!).

NotBigNotClever Wed 17-Sep-08 14:40:04

We have had quite a few of the caterpillars over the last 2 years (most of them having to be rescued from the dog), but have never yet seen one of the moths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now