Talk

Advanced search

Artificial grass: is this a crazy idea?

(6 Posts)
snickersnack Wed 10-Sep-08 14:12:28

Our garden gets very little direct sun - high trees on one side and a wall on the other. We've got decking down, which we inherited, but it's horribly slimey and the children hate playing on it unless it's completely dry as they slip over the whole time. Plus all the leaves from next door's trees fall between the cracks and rot, so it's high maintenance.

I spoke to a landscape gardner this morning who suggested artificial grass (he doesn't think real grass would stand a chance) - is this completely crazy? My only experience of it is astroturf on hockey pitches but he says it's nothing like that any more. I don't want concrete or tiles down - so I can see the advantages, but am just worried about how it will look and feel.

misi Wed 10-Sep-08 15:31:01

not crazy at all, the modern stuff is great. beware of different grades though, the cheaper it is, the less it looks like real grass.

www.hitechturf.co.uk/turfproducts.html

www.evergreensuk.com/artificial_grass.htm

and who says you need grass to be green?

www.asgoodasgrass.co.uk/artificial_turf.php colour co-ordinate grin

misi Wed 10-Sep-08 15:31:34

that should have said grin grin

Littlefish Wed 10-Sep-08 15:35:19

We put some down at Nursery as the grass just wouldn't grow. We bought really good quality stuff and honestly, you couldn't tell the difference when you looked throught the window at it.

It can be a bit slidey when it's wet though, so watch out! Also, make sure the edges are well secured & hidden or you end up seeing the base webbing stuff.

hillbilly Sun 14-Sep-08 13:31:02

We have artificial grass and it is fab for my lo's. It looks great all year round too. It is only an area of about 5 x 3m and is mostly in shade too so real grass would not have survived.

It is an excelent idea - go for it!

hillbilly Sun 14-Sep-08 13:32:45

BTW we used As Good As Grass. They were extremely helpful and can fit it too if you want for an extra fee.

It looks and feels great and as misi said you get what you pay for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now