Talk

Advanced search

Those little weeny potatoes you find after digging up your potatoes....

(10 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Sep-08 13:06:05

Can I save them for next spring and use them as seed potatoes? Will I risk them developing virii (is that the plural of virus?)if I do that.
Thanks

blackrock Tue 09-Sep-08 13:54:19

Not sure about keeping them,think you may be right about virus transfer,

but my DS loves the babies!

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 09-Sep-08 14:56:00

ok, will prob just buy a fresh set in the spring then, not worth creating problems for myself for the sake of a few pence!

I'll cook the weeny ones for lunch box then

blackrock Wed 10-Sep-08 11:44:46

The weeny one are really child friendly. Mind you DS only ate potatoes when they came from the garden, so now our supplies have runs out (grew first earlies!) he insist on having 'bit cheese peas, mummy', before eating! What variety did you grow? We gre Jersey Royal, delicious, but not as waxy as we thought they would be.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 10-Sep-08 11:54:17

I can't remember what they were blush They had bright purple skin (which went grey when cooked sadly) and it said they were blight resistant on the packet. We planted them march and since early august I've just been reaching in and pulling a few potatoes out grin Then yesterday noticed the foilage was turning a bit so I dug them up.

Theyve made absolutely fab roasties and mash but not so good for baking.

Next year I'm going to pay attention as to whether they were earlies or what not!

throckenholt Wed 10-Sep-08 12:02:51

don't leave them in the ground - they will grow - and much better than anything you plant - and usually in the middle of the carrots you want to grow !!! (voice of experience there).

According to Bob Flowerdew you should save your biggest and best for see potatoes because they will give you the best crop - so by that reckoning those weeny ones will give you a crap crop.

If you are organised you could do a test - plant some littlies, and some biggies and see which give you the best results next year.

throckenholt Wed 10-Sep-08 12:03:57

seed not see !

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 10-Sep-08 12:04:26

lol throckenholt - will have to dig up rest of lawn if I'm to try such an experiment!

QuintessentialShadow Wed 10-Sep-08 12:09:22

We grew potatoes during my entire childhood, and were pretty much self reliant.

We would always eat the smaller ones (not the tiny ones) and keep the good ones for seed potaotes. All the potatoes were stored in a massive wooden potato crate in the basement, where it was cool and dry, and dark. Whatever was left in the spring, would be planted. The would all start growing "roots", but we just ripped the "roots" off the potatoes as we prepared to cook them.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 10-Sep-08 18:58:04

That sounds great QS. Not sure we'd have any decent ones left in the spring but it sounds like something to bear in mind. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now