Talk

Advanced search

Wet weather has ruined my tomatoes!

(7 Posts)
Ripeberry Wed 03-Sep-08 22:38:41

All my outdoor tomatoes have started to rot, what a total waste.
A few days of sunshine would have made all the difference.
But they are just green and black!

HotblackDesiato Wed 03-Sep-08 22:39:40

me too. was waiting for a bit of sun to turn them and it never arrived. noticed today that they;re going brown and leaves all black. sad

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 22:39:51

you are not alone.

sad

Hassled Wed 03-Sep-08 22:40:34

Ditto, and I'm gutted. I bought the seeds last summer in Italy [ponce emoticon] and now they're shot to hell. And there's only so much green tomato chutney one family can bear.

notnowbernard Wed 03-Sep-08 22:40:53

I am in the same boat!

Made a load of chutney the other week. If you Google 'green tomato chutney recipes' it throws up a fair few

Fried green toms are quite nice too

Bring them in and stick a bunch of bananas on them to try and speed up the ripening?

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 03-Sep-08 22:45:04

I used some Italian seeds too and also some heritage varities from a seed exchange [row of ponce emoticons]. Have got lots of green tomatoes but no sign still of any of them ripening.

If the leaves are turning black that sounds like disease, rather than just post-rain sulking. Offending plants should, I think, be burned or binned as composting them risks spreading evil spores around the garden.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Wed 03-Sep-08 22:54:50

Those would be varieties, then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now