Talk

Advanced search

What's in my hole?

(31 Posts)
MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 20:48:25

Something has made a hole in one of my borders - about 10cm wide (I don't know how deep). I have never seen anything come in or out of it but next door's cats sometimes sit and watch it for ages. Have filled it in with soil twice but - to my horror - whatever it is burrows through and makes a the same shape hole again. No mole hills or anything.

If it's a rat I will have to move house.

K999 Mon 01-Sep-08 20:50:25

snake??

PeaMcLean Mon 01-Sep-08 20:51:32

Rabbit?

MissisBoot Mon 01-Sep-08 20:53:24

It could be a rat I'm afraid. I have the same sized holes in my compost bin and we have had rats in there. Yuck.

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 20:54:43

Snake unlikely in this part of the UK I think... Rabbit would be lovely but we're very urban and the hole is maybe a bit too small...

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 20:56:54

NOOO MissisBoot. Do you think so? But there is a big stinky compost bin at the other end of my garden and there arn't any holes or rats in that (have just turned it over so I know).

K999 Mon 01-Sep-08 20:56:55

Sorry MrsSnorty - was only kidding! grin

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 20:57:48

How do I kill it if it is a rat?

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 20:58:28

That's ok K999. Thought you were Australian or something.

platypussy Mon 01-Sep-08 20:58:50

Sounds like a rat but dont worry they can be got rid of. Does your neighbour have decking? We are surrounded by gardens with decking and apparently its a rats paradise.

Tidgypuds Mon 01-Sep-08 20:59:48

A rat probably, I have these too. We back on to a field and so get these holes quite a bit. If you phone the council they will come and put some traps down for you or poision.

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 21:00:46

Next door but one has decking, but they also have 6 cats! (Same ones that are staking out my hole).

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 01-Sep-08 21:01:45

rat

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 21:02:41

OMG how vile. I've got a bit of a phobia. Will the council come even though I haven't seen anything? Will it try to come in the house?

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 21:03:38

I can't click on that link BALDs - if it's a photo of one I'll have nightmares (well, probably will anyway).

hellymelly Mon 01-Sep-08 21:04:23

Sounds bigish for a rat hole (but I am old so think in inches.)If it is a rat I would leave it alone.they are everywhere,if you kill it another will soon take its place,and if the cats are on a vigil then its days are numbered anyway.Just don't attract any more,eg watch what you put on the compost heap and get seed spill trays if you have bird feeders.

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 01-Sep-08 21:04:34

Roland Rat - I truly wouldn't post real pic I promise you

[squeezes Mrs' knee]

MissisBoot Mon 01-Sep-08 21:06:59

Don't worry about it coming into the house - your neighbours cats are probably doing their best to keep the population down and also leaving them on your neighbours doorstep/kitchen floor as presents in the morning.

I was greeted to a three legged dead rat the other morning - truly foul.

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 21:07:58

phew - thank you BALD. Going outside front door now for a fag (being scared of going into my own garden may have some positives...)

misi Mon 01-Sep-08 21:16:20

hegehog perhaps? they have to dig under fences to get around nowadays when you have panel fencing. I have a hole around 12" under one panel in my garden, the hegehog lives behind a playhouse which is on a slightly raised deck, he comes out at night, mooches around a bit then disappears through the hole into next doors garden. I have tried to encourage him to stay in mine to eat more slugs and snails etc, but mu dog put him off, so my garden is a bit like a dormitory town, kives here, works elsewhere!!

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 21:18:47

I would love it to be a hedgehog (have big slug population). Thank you for that happy thought. Although it's next to an old chain link fence.

BroccoliSpears Mon 01-Sep-08 21:20:10

PMSL @ this thread title. I love Mumsnet.

MrsSnorty Mon 01-Sep-08 21:59:52

Sadly it's been a long time since anything interesting's happened in any other holes round here grin.

misi Mon 01-Sep-08 22:21:09

if its under a chain link fence then it is unlikely to be mice or rats as they would squeeze through the holes rather than dif under. place a piece of meat by the hole, if its rats or mice they will leave it alone, if its a hegehog he may eat it

misi Mon 01-Sep-08 22:21:40

as for other holes, shame sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now