Talk

Advanced search

Keeping cats off!

(18 Posts)
sazzerbear Mon 01-Sep-08 13:17:59

There seems to be a cat or fox that keeps pooing on our gravelled parking area. Have tried moth balls but makes no difference, any ideas for how I can keep them off?

GooseyLoosey Mon 01-Sep-08 13:20:04

No successful ones, but I await the wisdom of others as we have the same problem.

Dh's current solution is to keep a pump action water pistol by the front door and soak the buggers whenever he sees them!

sazzerbear Mon 01-Sep-08 13:25:08

That sounds like fun!

freshprincess Mon 01-Sep-08 14:38:10

We bought a cat scarer which emits a high pitch noise whoch goes off when they walk past. It worked for a bit.

DH did the water pistol thing, but I thought it was a bit cruel so I hid it.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 01-Sep-08 14:41:01

pepper, citrus and the water pistol all work well. i have cats and i wouldnt mind some one giving them a quick squirt to keep them off their property.

RedHead81 Mon 01-Sep-08 14:43:55

theres a plant called lemon verbena (sp?) that is supposed to work and yes, water pistol works too lol

PrimulaVeris Mon 01-Sep-08 14:59:31

All solutions only seem to work for a short while

Have got 3 next door and forever wrecking my already tiny garden

After one of them got in my house the other week and crapped on the kitchen windowsill, I'm wondering how one cquires an air rifle grin

sazzerbear Wed 03-Sep-08 16:09:33

An air rifle seems more appropriate today, there's about 7 piles of it and it stinks - yuk! angry

wishingchair Thu 04-Sep-08 18:12:44

I have this problem wiht my OWN cat. She's old and would just poo all over teh grass so we got a litter tray with a lid on it. Now, if the lid is on, she just poos on the gravel outside our door ... sometimes even if the lid is off. DH is ready to send her to the old cat's home in the sky.

wishingchair Thu 04-Sep-08 18:13:33

Sorry - meant to say we have tried everytihng. Cat scarer (the high pitched noise thing), moth balls, special sprays. Works for a bit then back to normal.

sazzerbear Fri 05-Sep-08 14:19:26

There is no hope....in the meantime the colour of the poo blends into the gravel so a trip to get the car means tiptoeing across the offending articles (or "landmines" as my mother calls them)..evil,lazy cats!!! grin

misi Sun 07-Sep-08 19:07:37

someone on another thread mentioned about using human male pee to spray on the area affected. my son (only 4 but wanted to help) and I did this and it worked.............

....for 3 days then they came back. I poured over again but they ignored it. either I didn't eat the right foods or need to eat something garlicky, spicy or minty, not sure what though grin

misi Sun 07-Sep-08 19:21:00

I have plants in my backgarden and they do certainly help but unless I cover the entire garden with them, only where they grow is protected and theres not much point in growing them in the middle of the gravel pathway, only wish I could remember what they were called grin

another plant I have heard of though

www.thompson-morgan.com/plants1/product/p1593/1.html

and apparently they don't like peppermint plants.
cat mint is intriguing though. the cats will rub themselves on it and eat it and it is the eating that has to be seen grin cat mint seems to be some sort of narcotic to them, similar to the effects of canabis (but does not have the same effect on humans)

sazzerbear Tue 09-Sep-08 09:02:07

thanks for the info, happy to try anything!!

TeeBee Wed 10-Sep-08 17:16:05

Cricket bat, cricket bat, cricket bat.

sazzerbear Mon 15-Sep-08 20:01:43

Yuk yesterday had to pick up about 10 plies of it with my trusty trowel. Have spent god knows how much in garden centre on chemical warfare, fingers crossed or may have to find air rifle with night vision!

MaggieW Wed 17-Sep-08 13:15:16

Cayenne pepper should do the trick. Sprinkle it liberally and they won't come back. You may need to top up after rain. I did it and haven't had a cat digging or pooing for a year!

sazzerbear Sat 20-Sep-08 15:40:09

Thanks, dirty little blighters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now