Talk

Advanced search

I have finally done something about my disaster of a garden but now need to know something.

(8 Posts)
mawbroon Sun 31-Aug-08 14:23:40

My garden was embarassing. Next door's cats were pooping in the flower bed, so we stopped hoeing it and weeding it. After it annoying me for a year, we have finally had it slabbed over. (not the whole garden, we do still have some grass)

I want to put a few pots out to make it look a bit more interesting, but we have a serious snail and slug population round here. Last year, they ate a big basil plant overnight and left me with the stems in the morning!

I am too lazy to do much snail/slug busting, so wondered if anybody knows any plants which will look nice, but that the slugs/snails won't eat!

This is one of my few ventures into the gardening topic, so please don't fall over laughing at my question! smile

mankymummy Sun 31-Aug-08 14:26:15

anything spiky or with furry leaves.

for specific plant listings try here...

www.gardeners.com/Slug-Resistant%20Plants/5501,default,pg.html

mawbroon Sun 31-Aug-08 17:52:15

Thanks mankymummy. I will have to google most of the plant on that list, as I have no idea what they are!!

mankymummy Sun 31-Aug-08 17:59:12

go to a good garden centre, they will be able to advise !

alternatively you could get a bundle of slow worms to live in your garden. they gobble up snails and slugs !

liath Sun 31-Aug-08 20:42:55

Hi MB! Put copper tape around all your pots, works pretty well. They don't like patio roses much and my geraniums have been unscathed (and I have a MAJOR mollusc problem!). My garden is half plants half copper rings LOL!

mawbroon Sun 31-Aug-08 21:32:34

So you reckon they work liath?

liath Sun 31-Aug-08 22:44:40

I'd say so, MB - not 100% but they do make a differnce. I'm sure I have some copper tape kicking around, you're welcome to have it.

mawbroon Sun 31-Aug-08 22:57:41

Oh that's very kind thank you liath. I'm not sure when I will get round to getting plants though! Have to pressure wash everything in sight first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now