Talk

Advanced search

Veg - how to fill in the gaps?

(5 Posts)
Smithagain Sat 30-Aug-08 09:31:15

A couple of gaps have emerged in our veg plot, having harvested some stuff.

I fancy some winter salad leaves and it would also be nice to get some veg in that we can eat in the spring.

Can anyone recommend any good varieties, that are reasonably easy to grow. I could go and read seed packets, but would quite like a shortcut.

Is spring cabbage hard? Have never grown any cabbagey things before. And what about spring onions? Do you raise them from seeds or buy plants??

Uriel Sat 30-Aug-08 09:44:17

I'm doing onion sets and the spring greens collection from here. They've also got some salad plants, if you fancy them.

Seed for spring onions. smile

snorkle Sat 30-Aug-08 14:52:40

I'm sowing 'white lisbon' spring onions now - they should be ready March-April and can get quite large if you don't eat them all when small. I may be wrong, but I thought spring cabbage was planted earlier than this & takes almost a year to mature. I never have much success with brassicas.

Smithagain Sat 30-Aug-08 18:20:48

Thanks guys.

I like the look of that spring greens collection - think I'll go for the smaller version of that, plus some spring onions from seed. The website states delivery is from late Sept, so I assume they need to be planted basically as soon as they arrived.

In the meantime, will bung in some leftover radish and rocket and see if they grow in time before it gets (even) colder.

liath Sun 31-Aug-08 06:55:58

Pak choi - germinates fast and ready to eat within a month. Mizuna is supposed to be good over the winter too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now