Talk

Advanced search

I think we have a dead fox under our shed ...

(12 Posts)
frankie3 Sat 23-Aug-08 10:30:30

There is a dodgy smell coming from under our shed and it is probably a dead fox - if it was a rat or mouse I don't think I would be able to smell it. My DH says that he cannot get rid of it as our shed is long and thin, down the side of our house, and it would mean taking our whole shed apart! Will the fox decompose, or will it just attract other vermin etc? I don't like the idea of leaving a dead thing in our garden.

Purplepillow Sat 23-Aug-08 10:34:32

Surely if a fox could get under your shed you would be able to get it out, but it is more likely to be a small rodent that's died under there so just leave it but keep washing the area with disinfectant.

Nbg Sat 23-Aug-08 10:37:09

Dead rats do smell nasty.

Could you take some panals up from the floor of the shed and look underneath or is it one big piece iyswim?

frankie3 Sat 23-Aug-08 11:30:19

The shed is long and thin (about 12' long) down our side alley, so we can't get to the middle part of the shed ot see what it is. My DH says that he can't lift the floor in the shed - he doesn't seem bothered about leaving it there to rot. Will it take long to decay or will it just attract maggots, other rats etc? I hate the thought if it being there, especially if it is a big animal like a fox.

Nbg Sat 23-Aug-08 11:33:07

Well if it is a Fox or a larger animal, there will be another animal wanting to feed off it. Even if it is maggots.

I think I'd be going in there and hacking a hole in the floor grin

frankie3 Sat 23-Aug-08 12:49:27

My DH just prodded it with a stick and it MOVED!!! and looked at him!! Maybe it was a rat feeding off the dead thing. We are going to phone pest control.

wotulookinat Sat 23-Aug-08 12:52:17

Maybe it's an injured fox?

makeminealargeoneplease Sat 23-Aug-08 13:41:19

ring up the RSPCA they'll come out and deal with the poor thing. 0300 1234 999

frankie3 Mon 25-Aug-08 18:47:55

My DH managed to lift the shed with wooden props and found what we think is a rats nest underneath! It was a twisted pile of dead frogs, birds etc. So he removed it and will put some bait down so that we do not get the rats again!

shepbushfoxes Sat 18-Jun-11 20:41:40

The house next door who do not look after their garden and it is very overgrown, has a fox den dug into it and there is mum, dad and six babies.
They have dug through the adjoining wooden fence to my garden and are breaking through and destroying my flowers, etc. They also seem to live under my garden shed and I think one has died as there is a terrible smell. I cannot get to under the shed, does anyone have any idea as to what I should do as the council do not want to know. I am now too frightened to go outside into my garden and I believe it is illegal to kill them! Surely there is someone or an organisation who can get rid of foxes!

shepbushfoxes Sat 18-Jun-11 20:44:27

I had a dead baby fox in my garden yesterday afternoon. This morning a friend was going to remove it, but it had disappeared. Would parent foxes take it away? If so what would they do with it. We don't have big enough birds of prey who would have taken it away and it couldn't have been eaten because there was no remains. Any suggestions?

ChessPiece Sat 18-Jun-11 21:05:57

shep, we had foxes fighting in our garden and one was killed and the stench was horrible!

Thankfully it was easy to dispose of down the tip as was just laid on a flower bed. On the recommendation of another mumsnetter we bought this fox scarer which worked overnight in deterring them from coming into the garden. No more foxes!

Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now