Talk

Advanced search

Autumn/Winter veg???

(6 Posts)
SpinMeRightRound Wed 20-Aug-08 16:49:27

I'm fairly new to veg growing and have had a good crop of courgettes, tomatoes & runner beans this year but what do I need to be doing now for autumn/winter veg???

I have a small veg patch 2m x2m and lots & lots of containers....

any ideas from the green fingered foodies? grin

liath Wed 20-Aug-08 20:13:56

If it ever stops raining I'm planning to plant pak choi and chinese brocolli as they reach maturity fast. Or alternatively I'll sit and watch as my garden floods and my courgettes all rot <sob>.

SpinMeRightRound Wed 20-Aug-08 20:37:10

I know its awful isn't it, the slugs have managed to get at quite a few of my courgettesangry

dd1 is most annoyed as courgettes are her favourite veg ever.

emiliadaniel Wed 20-Aug-08 21:32:20

Pak choi is great. I sowed some seeds less than four weeks ago and have already been eating baby leaves. The plants are well on their way to maturity. It might not be too late for some swiss chard too, depending on where you are.
I'm also planning on planting some onion seeds in September. I've heard they can be difficult to grow, so any advice gratefully received.

fullmoonfiend Wed 20-Aug-08 21:35:33

you can get aumtumn green beans - plant now, harvest oct/nov.
Similary there are aumn carrots to sow now for xmas. Ditto new potatoes. Beetroot can still be planted now for the winter months.
And of, course, cabbge...

Japanese greens like Mizuna (can be used as salad or as a steamed green) are very succesful in English winter.

knat Fri 22-Aug-08 16:17:24

interested in this as we are building some planters at mo to house veg and herbs. Would like to know what will survive the autumn winter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now