Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me...

(8 Posts)
SimpleAsABC Sun 17-Aug-08 20:53:10

What a hut, that you'd have electricity in (ala an office/ log cabin) in the garden, would be called?

Thanks!

lilacbloom Sun 17-Aug-08 21:50:50

I would call it an office or summer house, but it could be called a Garden room or a garden retreat.

PrettyCandles Sun 17-Aug-08 22:00:59

OUrs is just the shed. It has power, lighting, worktop, shelving and windows, but the walls are unfinished on the inside. Calling it anything else would imply, to me anyway, that it is nicely furnished as well.

lilacbloom Sun 17-Aug-08 22:13:38

Actually I call mine a shed! It has water, light and gas, mind you it also has the Motorbike, freezer and washing machine.

lilacbloom Sun 17-Aug-08 22:14:16

Our shed has double glazing too. (to keep the bike safe hmm)

GentleOtter Sun 17-Aug-08 22:16:57

They are called 'sitooteries' in parts of Scotland.
envy at your posh sheds!

PrettyCandles Wed 20-Aug-08 13:32:20

LOL nothing posh about our shed. You certainly wouldn't want to sitoot in it! grin

Swedes Wed 20-Aug-08 13:58:35

George Bernard Shaw had a writing hut. I went to see it recently. It is tiny. But quite spectacular in that it revolves so that GBS was able to always benefit from the sun. It had a bed and a desk in it. I suspect Mrs GBS sent him in there when he'd gorn over the top on the alcohol.

I also saw recently that Louis de Bernieres also writes in a writing hut in the grounds of his house on the Suffolk/Norfolk borders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now