Talk

Advanced search

My first veg patch and I could do with some advice- any experts around?

(16 Posts)
Haylstones Fri 15-Aug-08 20:15:08

<before I start, I really am a total novice and hope I don't look to stupid blush
I started a veg patch this year and think I have messed up somewhat so could do with some advice!
The main issue I have is with the pumpkins, the leaves are absolutely huge and I think they are taking over too much but I don't know how much room they need and if I should/can move them. When do the actual pumpkins appear? I grew from seeds so didn't expect them to get this big!
I have a big tomato plant (also from seeds) but no tomatoes have appeared yet although the plant is still growing...is it too late now to get some tomatoes and is there anything I need to be doing?
Also, I have planted some carrots and am not sure when to dig them up. I can see the carrots have grown but am not sure if I just leave them until I want to eat them or if they go bad or if they just keep growing and growing grin
Any advice would be much appreciated. I have some photos too if that helps with the diagnosis (actually, there is something I cannot identify and don't think I planted it!)

Haylstones Fri 15-Aug-08 20:15:50

Ahem, TOO stupid blush

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Fri 15-Aug-08 20:18:57

Squash (pumkpins etc) take over everything - next time, plants in a huge space on a little mound so they can trail down. I wouldn't move them now unless you have to and are willing to risk losing the plants. Pumpkins here appear in September usually but anytime through the autumn and early winter.

Don't know about the tomatoes - mine had tons on them but I am in a different climate.

Carrots will be ok in the ground for longer - can you pull one and see how big it is? I can't remember how I knew mine were ready - it's been ages since I grew carrots.

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Fri 15-Aug-08 20:19:36

I am NOT an expert btw

pamplemousse Fri 15-Aug-08 20:26:58

I'm not an expert either...
Tomatoes don't do too well outside to be honest they prefer a greenhouse. Mine, which are outside, have only had a few tomatoes and I have fed them (which you have to do after the first truss (bunch of tomatoes) appears), and generally spoiled and tended to their every need.
Eat the carrots whenever you like - you can pull up some and leave room for the others to get bigger.
As SBUR said about pumpkins but small ones should start to appear soon. They aslo love a feed mine are surrounded by manure. My friend plants his in the muck heap and the pumpkins are amazingly big!
Best of luck.

Haylstones Fri 15-Aug-08 20:27:00

Thanks. Carrots are about 4 inches long andn quite thick but haven't tasted it yet.
Pumpkins are taking over the tomato plant so am not sure what to do with it, I can't even work out where I'll actually see the pumpkin!
Will try to put some pics on my profile if anyone can help more.

Tidgypuds Fri 15-Aug-08 20:31:24

Pumpkins can be trained to go in a circle if you peg them down with tent pegs or similair and wrap them round so they dont take up so much space. Have you fed them?

Tomatoes like it hot, tomatoe feed and lots of watering. Has it flowered yet?

Carrots can you see the carrot tops? pull one and see how big they are.

Show us the pic of the unidentified plant and we will have a guess.

Tidgypuds Fri 15-Aug-08 20:31:59

Tomatoe

Tidgypuds Fri 15-Aug-08 20:32:24

arrgghhhh it didnt work e

Tidgypuds Fri 15-Aug-08 20:32:57

Tomatoe Tomato

Haylstones Fri 15-Aug-08 20:49:20

lol tidgypuds.
Pics on profile now. Tomato plant did flower brieyly...I think.
I really am useful and have a real phobia of dirt and worms and slugs etc so have done well getting this far!

SuperBunnyisUnderRated Fri 15-Aug-08 23:44:23

Lovely pics - no idea what the unidentified thing is - I can't see much from the picture. It may well be my eyesight though.

Well done. Your plants look great!

Haylstones Sat 16-Aug-08 08:17:29

Thanks. I didn't expect any of them o actually grow shock.
All I do is occasionally stick the hose on them but i suspect i should taking better care of them!

missingtheaction Sun 17-Aug-08 11:00:44

The thing in the top picture is (i think) either oregano or marjoram - can't quite see assume it is dinner-plate sized plant

Your pumpkin has a long way to go girl - my butternut squash has two arms that are both about 3m long, and is still going.

It will take a couple of months for that little pumpkin to mature. If you cut off the growth after it (so it is at the end of the tendril) the pumpkin will get the benefit of the plant's energy. Feed it if you like.

I can't see the tomato very well - do you still have the label? it might be that you needs to be a cordon. If interested ask for more details.

What's the piccy at the bottom? I can see it's on its side but don't know what the plant is!

ClareVoiant Sun 17-Aug-08 11:17:38

can second the opinion on your unidentified plant. looks very much like my oregano plant. are the flowers a pinky colour and does it smell herby?

Haylstones Sun 17-Aug-08 13:13:19

i think it muct be oregano as the flowers are pink and smell herby. Last owners planted lots of herbs so it is more likely to be a herb than a plant.
Pic at the bottom is sweet pea/
I can't find the label for the tomato and have no idea abou anything to do with it!
I really am a novice blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now