Talk

Advanced search

WHAT CAN I PLANT NOW FOR LATE SUMMER COLOUR?

(18 Posts)
Merlin Fri 15-Aug-08 10:26:13

That's it really - garden looking a bit boring, needs an injection of colour!

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks

watsthestory Fri 15-Aug-08 10:27:24

Message withdrawn

Merlin Fri 15-Aug-08 10:29:47

Thanks, but don't like them! Fussy aren't I?!!!! LOL

watsthestory Fri 15-Aug-08 10:31:27

Message withdrawn

midnightexpress Fri 15-Aug-08 10:31:52

Autumn crocus?

I love the little teeny violas, all one type together.

midnightexpress Fri 15-Aug-08 10:32:48

Or crocosmia? They're flowering now, not sure if you could plant them now, but they're perennial so at least you'd get the benefit next year grin

watsthestory Fri 15-Aug-08 10:33:13

Message withdrawn

Merlin Fri 15-Aug-08 10:33:41

Mmmm autumn crocus sound nice, but would they be in flower now? I love violas too, but am thinking something a bit bigger for more instant impact.

Can you tell I'm impatient?!!

Merlin Fri 15-Aug-08 10:34:19

I have the croco thingummys, just not enough of them and would like something else.

midnightexpress Fri 15-Aug-08 10:37:06

I think the autumn crocus would come a bit later, but I think they only take about a month after you plant the bulbs to get going.

I'm not much of an expert, perhaps someone else can help

<flounders>

There are lots of things in the garden centre atm like rudbekias and crocosmias (all the reds and oranges) that flower at the moment - I imagine you could sling some of them in and see what happens (my general approach...) - they're all quite big (relative to little violas, anyway) so would have quite an impact.

midnightexpress Fri 15-Aug-08 10:38:31

Have a look [http://www.crocus.co.uk/august-choice/ here]] for some August ideas.

midnightexpress Fri 15-Aug-08 10:39:15

Sorry here

prettybird Fri 15-Aug-08 10:40:16

Echinacea is another option - smialr size to Rudbekia. Can give you pink and white options if you don't want red/yellow/orange

Pannacotta Fri 15-Aug-08 22:24:01

Dahlias, there are some quite funky ones now with dark leaves and even some with softer colour flowers.
As others have said, Crocosmia, Rudbeckia, Echinacea, also Japanese Anenomes which have white or pink flowers which go on for ages.

If you go to a good nursery or garden centre you will see what is flowering now and you can then pick your favourites.

Merlin Fri 15-Aug-08 22:28:45

Thanks for all your suggestions

I have some Japanese anemones already - perhaps I should just go for more!

Pannacotta Fri 15-Aug-08 22:35:16

Asters also flower now and are pretty
www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/perennials/other-perennials/aster-x-frikartii-monch/ClassID.2571/
The link also shows you some of the other things which were recommended.

woodstock3 Fri 22-Aug-08 16:24:14

there are some late salvias that go on into november if you've got a sunny patch
crocosmia only just coming out in my garden ditto anemones and asters will be good for quite a while
fuchsias seem to go on forever, last year were well into october or first frosts

misi Sat 23-Aug-08 12:30:37

winter pansies, plenty in the shops now and will last all winter even with several frosts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now