Talk

Advanced search

What can I plant now then?

(11 Posts)
callmeovercautious Wed 13-Aug-08 20:12:18

Except oriental greens as DH hates pak Choi!

I did leeks for the first time this year which will be in the ground for ages yet so I am thinking of keeping the bed going all together rather than tucking it up for the winter as usual.

Any suggestions?

pamplemousse Wed 13-Aug-08 20:22:06

You can still do salads, even through the winter (if you are a winter salad eating type) under a cloche. Mine grow outside til about Sept depending on coldness.

callmeovercautious Wed 13-Aug-08 23:04:30

I have some beetroot and spring onions doing there little thing atm. I have a green house bed I was going to keep putting lettuce in - can I do iceburg now in an unheated greenhouse do you think?

I was thinking of Cauliflowers etc or is it too late to plant seeds now?

harpomarx Wed 13-Aug-08 23:08:30

have just sowed rocket and spinach again.

soon you will be able to do stuff like onions, broad beans, cabbages, garlic.

callmeovercautious Wed 13-Aug-08 23:11:58

But I am only just harvesting onions! So can I plant seed soon for next year already? Garlic I always mean to do then forget! Thanks Harpomax smile

harpomarx Wed 13-Aug-08 23:24:22

think it is onion sets that you plant in September, I'm just a learner! this might help though

callmeovercautious Wed 13-Aug-08 23:27:10

But I did sets in the spring.... am going to read your link.

callmeovercautious Wed 13-Aug-08 23:31:55

Great Thanks smile

blackrock Sun 17-Aug-08 13:15:25

Japanese onions, basil on window sills, kale, purple sprouting broccoli, wait a bit and plant garlic.

callmeovercautious Sun 17-Aug-08 21:22:44

Right so Japenese Onions - that makes sense. Thanks for that.

I promised DH I won't waste so much space on onions next year - the first year I did them they were really good - 2006 I think, they liked the hot weather. Last 2 years have been a bit poor, I need 3 of the to make spag bol hmm

Kale sounds interesting. Can I do it from seed now? I just cleared loads of the patch harvesting the onions and sweetcorn. I have 2 butternut Squash doing their thing and some leeks but otherwise I have lots of space now.

The Broccoli is a no go - too many cabbage whites around here sad

blackrock Tue 19-Aug-08 20:17:47

Kale is worth a go, it is a bit late, but with a wet warm autumn and perhaps cloches to start with i have just planted mine ... as just taken out the summer onions and the last of my potatoes.

I have also just planted flat leaf parsley.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now