Talk

Advanced search

Scots pine removed from garden, soil very acidic. Want to plant a new tree - how?

(5 Posts)
Gingerbear Wed 13-Aug-08 10:56:11

We have just had a 40ft Scots pine removed from our very small garden. The tree surgeon said that the soil would be very acidic due to the pine needles. We want to plant a hazel tree in its place, and some shrubs around it, but I am not sure where to start - do we dig the whole area out and get some new topsoil? The stump has been ground out, but the roots from the pine tree are still there. We will plant the hazel to one side, obviously, but am worried that it may not survive.
<planting hazel in memory of my dad, one of his favourite trees>

Gingerbear Wed 13-Aug-08 12:06:25

Any gardeners around this lunchtime?

Pannacotta Fri 15-Aug-08 22:26:38

I think yes you would need to dig over the soil and add plenty of new top soil and then compost or manure.
You could get a soil testing kit to find out just how acid it is now?
Worth asking at your local nursery for advice on what to use to improve the soil before planting anything new.

Gingerbear Sat 16-Aug-08 17:44:51

oh,smile thanks for the reply. I have just been to the library and got a few books out - they say similar - to test the pH, and double dig (sounds hard work!!) and add lots of well rotted manure or compost - we have two compost bins and a friend with horses, so we should be OK on that score.

Pannacotta Sat 16-Aug-08 17:58:31

Oh yes good ol' horse shit will be fab!
Good luck with the digging over (or get a burly man to do it for you - it is quite hard work!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now