Talk

Advanced search

Poisonous plants?

(8 Posts)
PrettyCandles Sun 13-Feb-05 23:04:35

How do I find out whether a plant is poisonous (and how dangerous), or irritant?

I've tried Googling, but the websites I find don't generally indicate how dangerous a plant is, and some of them say (for example) 'prunus - some species - toxic'. Hang on a sec, isn't prunus apple? So which species? And what if I don't know the Latin name?

bundle Sun 13-Feb-05 23:06:28

try this

Mothernature Sun 13-Feb-05 23:08:32

list of poisonous plants etc

PrettyCandles Wed 23-Feb-05 21:07:35

Unashamedly bumping for Mirage, who has just admitted to being a gardener.

Pleeeease?

Mirage Thu 24-Feb-05 16:49:52

Right,let me see if I can get my pregnancy brain working properly!

If you buy from a garden centre,any plants that are dangerous should be labelled as so.
I think the prunus the website referred too must have been Prunus laurocerasus-Cherry Laurel.It is commonly grown as a hedging plant,but it's berries are poisonous.Other plants in the Prunus family include cherries,peaches & plums,so you are right,it is confusing & just because they come from the same family doesn't mean they are all toxic.

The most commom ones I can think of are-
Sweetpea-seeds are poisonous.
Laburnum-seeds are poisonous,
Euphorbia-all types have a milky white sap that can irritate the skin & cause rashes/blisters.
Foxglove-poisonous,
Delphinium,poisonous,
Monkshood/Wolfsbane,very toxic,just handling it can make you very ill indeeed.Avoid this one.
Strangely enough,any part of the potato or tomato plant apart from the actual potato/tomato itself are poisonous too,including leaves,flowers ect.

Sorry-dd is interuptting-must dash,but will post again later.I might be able to find a website that'll help.

Mirage Thu 24-Feb-05 19:06:46

Prettycandles,this might help.It is the Royal Horticultural Society website & is very useful.
www.rhs.org.uk

If you click onto 'RHS Plant Selector'then 'plant info'it will bring up a picture of said plant.Click on 'more details '& it will tell you everything you need to know including toxicity.I don't think it matters if you don't know the latin name either.

HTH
Mirage

Furball Thu 24-Feb-05 20:17:49

If you know the name of the plant - you can can type it in the plant search Here. If it is poisonous there will be a red skull and cross bone icon next to its name.

PrettyCandles Thu 24-Feb-05 21:14:37

Oooh thanks! I shall have a good rummage through those sites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now