Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got outdoor solar lights? Are they any good?

(9 Posts)
firststeps Sun 10-Aug-08 13:26:51

that's it really!

GentleOtter Sun 10-Aug-08 13:43:11

Yes we have them and some are quite good. We have the shed ones for inside at night (as we have limited electricity supply just now) but they would be powerful enough to light up a doorway at night.

The other ones are the brighter types on poles which are just bright enough to light up the edge of a path.

Homebase sell quite a good assortment and they last a good while - just put in stronger rechargeable batteries than the ones that come with them. The yellowy lights are not as good and do not last so long.

The PIR ones are excellent. Worth spending a bit more on IMO.

GentleOtter Sun 10-Aug-08 13:45:39

These are great for children's rooms

chocolatespiders Sun 10-Aug-08 13:48:02

i have some cheap ones from b&q and they are great very pretty....

some got pinched from front garden so only in the back now..

where do you get the better batteries from?

firststeps Sun 10-Aug-08 13:59:56

Thanks Gentletterwhat does PIR stand for blush, also what type of rechargeable batteries would you recommend?

firststeps Sun 10-Aug-08 14:01:47

sorry can't spell today! Should say thanks gentleotter, what does PIR stand for

GentleOtter Sun 10-Aug-08 14:12:34

Oh firststeps! I don't know what PIR stands for but it is the sort of light that switches itself on if there is movement detected. People put them outside their garages or at their front doors.
The batteries that come with some of the solar lights are a bit naffola so I get decent rechargable ones from tesco.

A massive range of good solar lights

GentleOtter Sun 10-Aug-08 14:14:35

I looked it up. It means passive infra-red.grin

Pannacotta Sun 10-Aug-08 23:01:28

B&Q has solar lights including some string/fairy lights which look good.
Also look on ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now