Talk

Advanced search

poly tunnel or greenhouse?

(8 Posts)
sophy Thu 07-Aug-08 19:53:48

Cannot decide. Need something quite big --was looking at 8 x 12 greenhouses until someone pointed out a polytunnel the same size was 1/2 the price.

Looks not too relevant as both would be hidden from view.

Need it for raising seedlings. growing tomatos, peppers etc, overwintering tender plants and extending the growing season for salads etc.

Anyone got any useful advice?

ten10 Thu 07-Aug-08 19:56:47

I just bought one of these for my mum, not quite a greenhouse, and not a poly tunnel but plenty of space for most of what you mention and she loves it.
I bought the oak one part way doen the page

sophy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:01:25

Thanks but link not working!

sophy Thu 07-Aug-08 20:08:05

Got it to work now. That's nice but I need something much bigger!

ten10 Thu 07-Aug-08 20:53:13

http://activegardening.co.uk/planthouses.php#wooden

FuriousGeorge Fri 08-Aug-08 21:39:47

I've got a polytunnel & it is just fab.The best thing I ever bought.Mine is big 20ft x 40ft & bought it from a nursery which was closing down,for £50.The cover came from Northern tunnels and I've also used a company called Citadel too,who were very good.

sophy Sat 09-Aug-08 09:55:06

Wow, that is huge FG. Was it easy to erect? What do you grow in it?

Would love to get a 2nd hand one, but full size poly tunnels don't seem to come up on ebay.

FuriousGeorge Sun 10-Aug-08 19:47:34

It was quite easy to put up,as we marked the pieces as we dismantled them,so we knew what went where.I was lucky getting hold of it,my dad & I had been watching the newspaper ads for months,but any for sale were snapped up very fast.Then I heard that a nursery down the road was selling up & went to see the owner for a chat-result!

At the minute,I'm growing tomatoes,chillies,strawberries,tomatillos,peppers,courgettes,squashes,cucumbers,pumpkins,beans,potat oes & sweet corn.It has been a bit of a rushed job this year,as we only got the cover on in May,rather late.Next year I plant to build proper beds & get a fig & nectaerine in there too.

It is great-I had crops way before I normally would,apparently Dec & Jan are the only 2 months that you can't grow much,beause of the light levels,but you can extend the growing season no end.Yesterday I planted salad,carrots,beans & wallflowers.I sell a lot of my produce too,as there is more than enough to spare.That helps pay for next years seed.

A good book to give you a better idea,is 'Growing under plastic',by Bernard Salt.He covers polytunnels & greenhouse,with what you can grow when.As for finding one,perhaps 'Farmer & Grower' or one of the horticultural magazines might be worth a try,or asking at your local garden centre if they will be getting rid of any in the near future.

Good luck-if you need any nmore help,let me know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now