Talk

Advanced search

anybody used these potato barrels/planter before?

(5 Posts)
AnAngelWithin Thu 07-Aug-08 10:00:22

these

They look a good idea. I don't have room in my garden for rows of potatoes, so thougt a couple of these might be useful instead?

snorkle Thu 07-Aug-08 14:08:36

Consider how many pounds of potatoes you would need to grow before you saved any money over buying spuds. Plus the environmental impact of the plastic manufacture. I also no room in the garden to grow spuds but will either use an old split dustbin (less attractive I know, but not necessarily all that less attractive - I'll bet those new ones don't look all that great once they're covered in mud) or wait until I have an allotment. You could also reuse an old composter or even use strong bin sacks I'm told.

AnAngelWithin Thu 07-Aug-08 15:11:14

well i am a gardening beginner!! I thought they would be ok cos i could use the planters again and again? I wanted to grow them myself just to know that I can do it! They taste better when they have been grown yourself!

snorkle Thu 07-Aug-08 15:44:24

They do taste better it's true and if you just want to grow some for fun that's fine. If you want it to make economic sense then you might want to consider cheaper alternatives as I suspect it would take many, many years to grow enough potatoes to cover the costs.

sarah293 Thu 07-Aug-08 15:49:26

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now