Talk

Advanced search

Trailing Plant wanted - recommendations please

(4 Posts)
Wilkiepedia Tue 05-Aug-08 15:59:50

I have a 60ft wall at the back of my garden - it is the side of a rocky valley. There is a ledge about 1 metre from the top that I want to put a long trough on and have something trailing down to cover part of the wall (needs to trail about 3 metres).

I ideally want an evergreen plant like a trailing ivy but can't find one that trails far enough.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Kbear Tue 05-Aug-08 16:06:49

Remember that anything you plant in a trough (especially high up) will need lots of water and might struggle to survive up there - why not plant it in the ground and let it grow up? Clematis Montana is pretty fast growing. Needs shady roots but thrives in sun. Honeysuckle is nice and fragrant.

Why not plant three different types of plant, ivy one for cover and evergreen, honeysuckle for fragrance and clematis
for flowers!

sophy Tue 05-Aug-08 18:13:12

You can get ivies which will trail a long way. I had a tiny pot once on a windowsill which must have trailed about 3m until someone nicked it.
no idea what variety but was nothing special.

Wilkiepedia Tue 05-Aug-08 18:44:09

Kbear - clematis good idea. Basically, the wall was covered in Russian Vine which had taken over so we ripped it all down, the wall behind is quite stunning sandstone rock apart from this one section which I want to cover. Would the clematis need something to cling to? Or will it climb the rock? I want it covered by next summer ideally.

Sophy - the ivy's I found only trailed 2m which isn't enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now