Talk

Advanced search

God I'm useless .... I need gardening help please

(7 Posts)
amner Fri 01-Aug-08 16:23:49

So, the healthy plants I thought were green beans, and have been proudly watching, have grown to the top of their canes and flowered.

BUT

They are not beans at all !

They are those totally useless dog roses that you find in the hedgerows !!!!

I'm worried now that my courgettes are not what I think they are.

Thay are broad leaved, fleshy and low to the ground. They seem to come from a central stalk. Does this sound right or am I growing lovely organic dock leaves or something ????

blackrock Fri 01-Aug-08 22:32:50

Courgettes sounds like an accurate description.
Try this website...

courgette

ingles2 Fri 01-Aug-08 22:37:37

amner hmm are you sure they're dog roses? I don't think so, they wouldn't have grown so much in 1 season. What else did you plant at the time?
your courgettes sound right, are they flowering yet?

blackrock Sat 02-Aug-08 14:17:01

If the flowers look like little parasols about 7cm long, white or pinkish, then i think it may be bindweed.

Beans can have white, pink or red flowers, but usually quite small ang hooded flower, like a mini snap dragon.

runner beans

amner Sat 02-Aug-08 15:07:27

You are right Ingles ... its Bindweed blush

I planted peas (which are fine) alongside green beans. The bindweed obviously took over where the beans were planted.

Courgettes seem OK though !

sophy Sat 02-Aug-08 19:42:04

If it is bindweed you should get rid of it ASAP -- it is a pernicious weed (see previous threads).

I would spray it if you can do this without risk of spray drifting onto other plants nearby.

If you are not organic.

amner Sat 02-Aug-08 23:11:54

I've managed to pull a lot of it out this afternoon. I can see how its got its name !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now