Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything so satisfying as eating something you have grown yourself?

(13 Posts)
KerryMum Fri 01-Aug-08 16:19:03

And it's delicious?

Hats off to whoever told me to get blueberry bushes.

They are GORGEOUS!

grin

mistypeaks Fri 01-Aug-08 16:21:57

Brill isn't it. We had our own grown mashed spuds last night. Bloomin' fantastic. Just waiting for tomatoes and chillis to ripen. mmmmmm.
Next year we're going growing crazy grin

OrmIrian Fri 01-Aug-08 16:23:45

Ooh spuds are the best misty. They taste so different to bought ones. And very satisfying digging them up.

mistypeaks Fri 01-Aug-08 16:26:12

Too satisfying!! We had rather more mash than anything else because I got a bit spade happy and couldn't quite stop myself!!!

ilovemydog Fri 01-Aug-08 16:28:44

just got an allotment! smile

Pruners Fri 01-Aug-08 16:30:46

Message withdrawn

Granny22 Fri 01-Aug-08 16:31:58

Yes there is. It is watching your DDs & DGC totally lapping up something you have grown for them. This week my DH (aka Grandpal) was stting on the back step, GS to one side and GD to the other, showing them how to open peapods and eat the raw peas. Same garden, same step as with DDs nearly forty years ago. I was all choked up.

I have done some things in my life that were hard work and of which I am quietly proud but among family, friends and colleagues I am most appreciated for home made, mostly home grown soup and jam. So be it.

JulesJules Fri 01-Aug-08 16:38:56

So far we have only had ONE courgette - snails have eaten the rest, bastards.

No tomatoes yet, and the chillies are covered with white fly, despite growing them with marigolds and frequently spraying them with planet killer bug spray - any tips, anyone?

But the broad beans have been (arf) bloody lovely and growing all our own herbs has saved us a fortune <warm smug feeling>.

Am starting to think about chickens...

KerryMum Fri 01-Aug-08 16:46:09

ds1 loves blueberries but he looked askance at eating them off of a bush! shock. Where exactly does he think food comes from? Grown on the shelves at Tesco sad

This is the first thing I have ever grown to eat.

I think I will be adding to it next year. Have a rather large back garden.

Lots of freakin slugs though. They eat all my flowers sad

JulesJules Fri 01-Aug-08 16:51:31

Yep, we have got lots of slugs, too. I'm thinking of getting that copper tape that gives them electic shocks, mwahahahahah.

We have also had 10 blackcurrants, last year we just had 2, result grin

KerryMum Fri 01-Aug-08 16:57:02

I must be doing something right because I've GOBS of blueberries and this is first year. They were quite small when I got them

smile

mistypeaks Fri 01-Aug-08 21:20:40

Ref: Chillis ours have been grown indoors so that's put a stop to bugs.
Slugs are another story. We had loads of lettuce come up. Just as I was ready to start thinning it out (using the baby leaves as a salad) I went out the following morning - 1 F(*ing leaf left shock.
Our neighbours have just got chickens and came round last week with a box of eggs for us. The best eggs I have ever tasted. We're going to give them some spuds and taters in return. So home grown veg has turned from self sufficiency and nice tasting/cheap food to a social activity. It's a truly heartwarming feeling.

hotbot Fri 01-Aug-08 21:32:57

we used a bit of our garden for a raised bed, too little time for an allotmentsad mind you ,next door neighbour is fab for doorstep advice. the best part of my summer up t now is taking dd - 22mths round the garden, her job to water the plants, and we count the tomatoes and peas -everynight,,,FAB
AM ALSO GETTING CHICKEN ENVY oops caps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now