Talk

Advanced search

Vegetable glut boasting thread! Come and beat my courgette stash.

(5 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Thu 31-Jul-08 23:35:20

So, we got our allotment in January and decided to only grow the stuff we love to eat and lots of it -
last Sunday we picked...
4kg of courgettes and patty pans
800kg of peas
1kg of runner beans

then yesterday - 3 days later..
another 5.4kg of courgettes!
600g of peas
1.4kg of runner beans.

I'm thinking that next year we probably won't need to plant 20 courgette/pattypan plants.

Come and boast about your own gluts here.

p.s - here is a lovely courgette cake I made today courgette cake

JillJ72 Fri 01-Aug-08 15:52:06

I've printed this recipe as I have a courgette waiting to be converted into a cake. Is it as good as I think it should be, and how does the courgette come through - does it add moistness or a sweetness?

Well done on your gluts!

butterflybessie Fri 01-Aug-08 15:54:51

800kg of peas- wow that is some record to beat, and all of them from one allotment, have you contacted the guiness book of records?grin

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 01-Aug-08 17:26:04

hmmm - 800kg I think I'd need Mr Birdseye to come and freeze them.. grin.

The cake is really really good - all gooey and squishy like a brownie but not too sweet as I did chuck in a bit of extra cocoa cos I like chocolately stuff to be really chocolately.

FuriousGeorge Sun 03-Aug-08 16:22:05

My courgettes & squashes have done well this year-so well in fact,that I have put a stall outside with an honesty box,because I have far more than I can use.I haven't weighed them,but we've had enough to supply
3 families with them since the beginning of June & they are still going strong.

I've sold loads,especially gold courgettes & patty pans-people don't seem to have seen them before & are fascinated.

I'm just starting to get a few tomatoes & chillies now,and the pumpkins are huge already,so goodness knows what size they'll be by the end of the month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now