Talk

Advanced search

how and when do i harvest sweetcorn?

(9 Posts)
NappiesNoMore Thu 24-Jul-08 20:24:46

looks like some of the cobs are about large enough to be ready maybe? what do i do, just wrench them off the stalk? the ones that are bigger, that is?

thisisyesterday Thu 24-Jul-08 20:25:31

when the feathery bit at the top goes brown/black they're ready.

NappiesNoMore Thu 24-Jul-08 20:27:00

bloody hell, an answer to a gardening thread on the same day <thud>
grin

righto, so the whole stalk has to be ready and then what? do i just pull the whole thing up?

callmeovercautious Thu 24-Jul-08 20:28:08

Yep - when the feathery bit dies back a bit as thisisyesterday said. You can check by opening one up a little, push your nail into a corn, if it oozes white milky stuff they are ready. Pick them as you want them - don't store them as they spoil. Best thing is to have a pan boiling, run out and pick then drop straight in the pan - YUM!!!!

Mine are a few weeks away yet and I can't wait grin

callmeovercautious Thu 24-Jul-08 20:35:49

No you snap off the one that is ready, there might be 2 or 3 one one plant, depending on variety they may not all be ready together. To snap off, grab it and pull down then away, should come away cleanly if it is ready ime.

NappiesNoMore Thu 24-Jul-08 23:17:52

cool, thanks! <salivates at prospect>

NappiesNoMore Fri 25-Jul-08 11:30:03

oh shitty bums
so, if i have picked 3 cobs and they are in fact, not ripe sad, then is there a way to ripen them? leave em in the greenhouse and hope for the best? [knows answer is no, and thinks about cooking anyway and giving to the chickens]

glad i only picked 3 cobs ! [idiot]

callmeovercautious Fri 25-Jul-08 19:51:25

Bugger sad I did think they were early but I did not know if there was an early variety. Give them a few more weeks, the tassles should have died back (not just droopy) and the outer covering starting to go a bit "crispy".

Look on it as a learning curve smile

NappiesNoMore Mon 28-Jul-08 15:09:11

ta cmoc, i will do smile

have left my house, children, chickens and veg garden in the care of my mother (and cousin) since friday (back now, obv) and its all still alive, so thats pretty good going eh? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now