Talk

Advanced search

Vigorous climbing roses

(8 Posts)
DutchOma Thu 24-Jul-08 13:43:56

I want to make a new border with at each end a trellis to hide the compost bins. I would like some roses to grow up the trellis. What can I get that grows really quickly, preferably smelling nice, and where can I get it?
Thanks

claricebeansmum Thu 24-Jul-08 19:07:37

We have something called Seagull I think - it is rampant and smells and looks beautiful

snorkle Thu 24-Jul-08 20:26:58

albertine?

missingtheaction Sat 26-Jul-08 09:02:02

assume your trellis is only about 6' high in which case you don't need that vigorous a rose. Go for a climber rather than a rambler if you only need to cover a limited space. They will lose their leaves in winter though

if you want lovely smelly roses check out David Austin website - there are billions to choose from, and I think they have something to help you choose

or how about a clematis armandii which is evergreen and lovely scented flowers in the spring?

DutchOma Sat 26-Jul-08 22:27:38

It is only going to be a small trellis, but I would like roses better than clematis since I plan to plant clematis at the back where the wall has been renewed So that would be behind the compost bins and in the middle. The wall is about 6 to 7 metres.
How many do you think I need? And what varieties?

We used to have a wild patch there with dandelions for the tortoise, but the tortoise left two years ago. Then last year the wall came down and that has just been repaired. so I now have an opportunity to make a cottage garden border. Quite exciting.

missingtheaction Sun 27-Jul-08 22:12:50

sorry confused - how wide and how high is the space you want to cover? and is it trellis or a brick wall, and has it been painted?

either way, check David Austin website!

essjayo Tue 29-Jul-08 15:16:37

Agree with missingtheaction - climber rather than rambler, and look at David Austin! AND be careful because some strong climbers could ruin your trellis. Apparently you need to tie the rose in not let it twine through. I was looking at Graham Thomas (great yellow climber) or Gertrude Jekyll as a climber (brilliant pink and v smelly) but it has nasty thorns apparently.

I'd go for a mix of rose/honeysuckle and clematis - all of which can smell great. Maybe a winter flowering clematis like freckles to give year round interest. Some other Clematis (like Francis rivis) are also evergreen and flower in spring. Climbing hydrangea is lovely too and doesn't mind a bit of shade.

DutchOma Mon 04-Aug-08 14:13:33

It's just something that I want to put in front of the compost bins to hide them. Don't even have any idea on how to put them up. They would be about 1.80metres by 0.90metres and there would be two of them one each end of the garden. I thought I would have clematis against the back wall which has just been rebuilt, and maybe passion flower, because it is so pretty and grows very fast.

The wall is about 6 metres long and 1 metre high, it has a fairly dilapidated shed in one corner (on the neigbour's side) then trellis above the wall and a lilac tree in the corner. All this on the neighbour's side. I thought I would make a border of hardy perennial plants in front of the wall, the border is about 1.60 wide. At the moment it is jolly hard work because the chap who built the wall just dug the patch over and dug all the convovulus in, so that all has to come up. It was a wild patch for the tortoise before the wall fell over, but the tortoise had already walked off at that stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now