Talk

Advanced search

Drowning in Gooseberries - ways of making them palatable?

(22 Posts)
PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:15:53

We have a gooseberry bush in our garden which gave us 11lbs of fruit last year and it's starting all over again (I had forgotten about the ruddy thing until now).

The problem is I HATE gooseberries so what to do? None of the neighbours like them so can't even give the buggers away! Dh likes them but obv there is a limit to how many he can consume and we are both sick of gooseberry jam.

Also was wondering about how much you can cut back the bush (dh won't let me uproot/dump it!) so that it maybe fruits a bit less...

TIA

hanaflowerisnothana Tue 22-Jul-08 14:17:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 14:19:10

freeze the buggers till you can think of a better idea?

MadamAnt Tue 22-Jul-08 14:19:31

I'd love a gooseberry bush. [wistful] Can you make gooseberry fool or crumble? Freeze them and eat them at your (or DH's) leisure throughout the year.

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:20:09

Lol would love to courier them to you! They just end up taking up valuable space in my freezer.... need some inspiration. Pork sounds good though - never heard of that beforesmile

MadamAnt Tue 22-Jul-08 14:20:27

x-posts

I fee so slow. And redundant grin

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:21:32

X-posts (am very slow typist)

The only reason we got rid of last year's was because the freezer broke and they had to be chucked - made my day!

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:23:49

Anyone know anything about the butchering pruning?

missblythe Tue 22-Jul-08 14:31:36

Can you post them on Freecycle?

If I lived near you, I have them like a shot.

Anna8888 Tue 22-Jul-08 14:33:40

Gooseberry fool is lovely and can be made from frozen gooseberries at any time in the year. You can also make a gooseberry pie (like an apple pie) from stewed frozen gooseberries and serve with cream - yummy.

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:34:20

I am in East of Scotland/Perthshire if that's any help!

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:35:09

Anna do you have a recipe? Didn't realise you could make from frozen

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:38:26

shock
Have just searched bbcgoodfood.com for gooseberry fool and returned no results! How can that be?

<digs out hacksaw>

Aefondkiss Tue 22-Jul-08 14:39:44

I saw a recipe in the guardian for a gooseberry meringue pie, bit like lemon but with gooseberries... I am drowning in them too, there are millions of them here, I was thinking of freecycling them... My mum keeps coming and picking them and cooking them, but I am not a huge fan, I was wondering if gooseberry wine might be worth a try?

dittany Tue 22-Jul-08 14:40:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anna8888 Tue 22-Jul-08 14:42:30

Gooseberry fool: defrost previously frozen (and topped/tailed smile) gooseberries and stew over gentle heat in a saucepan with granulated sugar to taste until mushy.

Leave to cool.

Beat some whipping cream into soft peaks. Fold into cool gooseberry mixture, put into a large glass bowl or individual glass bowls and chill for an hour in the fridge.

Gooseberry pie is just like apple pie.

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:44:21

I am thinking of putting a 'Pick Your Own' sign out the front - dh's hands were cut to ribbons picking them last night! Spiky feckers

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:45:51

Ah thank you Anna - I was never really sure what a 'fool' consisted of - I thought there might be eggs involved too.

Anna8888 Tue 22-Jul-08 14:46:51

Some people put beaten egg white in with the cream.

witchandchips Tue 22-Jul-08 14:50:53

some people make a fool with half cream half custard.
try adding some elderflower cordial with the gooseberries while cooking (will then need to add less sugar). It just lifts the fool from being nice nursery food to something you might get in a good resturant.

PinkPussyCat Tue 22-Jul-08 14:54:34

Ok...

Will try.

<scribbles elderflower on to shopping list>

MsPontipine Tue 22-Jul-08 23:42:12

Chutney?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now