Talk

Advanced search

Please help me by sharing your top tips for a low maintenance garden...

(9 Posts)
broguemum Sat 19-Jul-08 20:32:00

Hello, I'm looking for a bit of help here. Basically my garden has run wild because I cannot spend the time needed to maintain it. I'm going to get a gardener in to help me to do some radical stuff to make the garden "low maintenance". Can you share some tips with me? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

CissyCharlton Sat 19-Jul-08 20:40:01

My advice is be careful. A lot of low maintance gardens I've seen look really terrible and (imo) devalue the look of the house they are attached to. Avoid simply ripping everything out and putting down gravel or other hard material.

I would look into filling the garden with low maintance shrubs. They will give colour and interest without looking bleak. Ask your local garden centre to advise you on plants that are suitable for your garden taking into account how much sun it gets.

southeastastra Sat 19-Jul-08 20:40:54

lots of grass, lavendar is nice, mint spreads quickly and is low maintenacne

ComeOVeneer Sat 19-Jul-08 20:45:39

Don't plant mint it totally takes over. I would go for (or raher I have gone for). Lawn. Pebbled areas with weed matting underneath. Vrious kinds of grasses, different grens/reds/black of different sizes and textures, then other plants and flowers in pots. It is modern, structural and in keeping as it is a modern townhouse.

ComeOVeneer Sat 19-Jul-08 20:47:53

this

ComeOVeneer Sat 19-Jul-08 20:48:51

like this

Mumsnut Sat 19-Jul-08 20:56:34

Brazilian

DorotheaPlenticlew Sat 19-Jul-08 21:04:28

surely that is high-maintenance?

broguemum Sat 19-Jul-08 21:51:21

Comeveneer, thanks for the suggestions. Not sure that would work for us as we are country w. fields on two sides. Maybe an adaptation would as the house itself is modern. Need to ponder some more.
Grass and lavendar sound good. At least DH would mow.
Brazilian? Ummmmm. Not low maintenance and runs a risk of ingrowing bushes or so I have heard ...
What are good low maintenance shrubs that can cope with really cold winters? And I do mean cold - down to minus 20 on occasion... Oh and we have loads of beech hedging too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now