Talk

Advanced search

How big does Hibiscus get?

(6 Posts)
KerryMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:04:34

I'm trying to figure out where to put it. Nothing on the card to indicate. Thanks smile

essjayo Fri 18-Jul-08 18:08:34

The hisbiscus in our garden, already here when we arrived, got quite big - I'd say about 3 ft around by up to 5 feet tall. It got a bit beyond itself tbh so last autumn we pruned it back really hard and amazingly it has survived. Now got lots of little green shoots growing out of quite thick woody stems. Size about 2ft by 2ft.
Even when it was big it was a nice shape. I think they are really lovely, mine had (hope will have again) loads of blue purple flowers in late summer. HTH

KerryMum Sun 20-Jul-08 15:33:19

thanks essjayo! smile

missingtheaction Sun 20-Jul-08 15:41:33

Think biggish shrub rather than pretty little plant. some hibiscus can be a bit tender so need to go somewhere with a bit of shelter and lots of sunshine. Otherwise they are just averagely fussy - don't want to be waterlogged though, go for dryer rather than wetter spot.

If happy they can eventually get HUGE but as sj says they can be hacked back - in fact they are a bit like buddleia and if you cut them back hard in about march they will flower really well that summer.

theinsider Sun 20-Jul-08 15:52:24

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Mon 21-Jul-08 23:25:21

I'm waiting for the hibiscus in my front garden to flower.

It's quite big (about 5 ft)and it seems to have self seeded (or something)

I did try to transplant one of the young plants but it didn't survive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now