Talk

Advanced search

Calling green-fingered MNers...ideas of Autumn-flowering bulbs for children to plant in August, please!

(15 Posts)
WillyWonka Fri 18-Jul-08 12:40:03

I'm planning to give away a small plant pot with soil & one or two bulbs (& planting/care instructions!) in my dd's party bags next weekend and would welcome ideas of bulbs that would be suitable. Pots are likely to be approx. 10-12cm wide and deep so imagine a crocus of some kind but would these be OK for growing indoors? Thanks in advance smile

WillyWonka Fri 18-Jul-08 16:45:16

bump

WillyWonka Fri 18-Jul-08 22:26:00

bump again...smile

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 18-Jul-08 22:30:28

Quick growing seeds would be far less complicated tbh.

and most seeds are on sale now too. Maybe fast growing veg or herbs?

Pannacotta Fri 18-Jul-08 22:31:36

Bulbs planted in August not likely to flower in the autumn as far as I know.
Can't you give away bulbs for outdoor planting, such as tulips/daffodils/crocus etc?

WillyWonka Fri 18-Jul-08 22:45:53

Thanks for the replies!

Are there many seeds that would be OK to plant at this time of year? Ideally don't want anything that requires thinning out or repotting and must be able to grow indoors as not all of the children have gardens - some live in flats and others only have back yards. Just thought it would be nice to enjoy watching their own special plant grow over coming weeks/months.

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 18-Jul-08 22:54:51

loads smile

Do you want flowers or herbs/veg?

WillyWonka Fri 18-Jul-08 22:55:58

Ooh, anything! Edible is most certainly good grin

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 18-Jul-08 23:07:16

Well, you can get packs of seeds designed for children that grow veg.

You can get round carrots, you could try beetroot, radishes, spring onions or dwarf french beans. Or dwarf peas. To be honest, if they are growing them on a windowsill inside they can grow pretty much any dwarf variety.

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 18-Jul-08 23:09:29

here suttons do a good range

WillyWonka Fri 18-Jul-08 23:10:36

Sorry to sound so stupid but what size pot should I give? Imagine the ones I was thinking of would be too small for dwarf anything!

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 18-Jul-08 23:13:06

I'd not think so - have a look at that link - a lot of those things come with their own pots - see what size they are.

WillyWonka Fri 18-Jul-08 23:14:29

Will do. Thanks again VVVQV, I'll leave you to your Friday evening grin

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 18-Jul-08 23:21:19

Oh dont worry WW - I could talk gardening stuff till the cows came home grin

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Mon 21-Jul-08 23:34:10

How about cress seeds? We're growing cress seeds atm.

The result are quite instant.

But probably tacky for a goody bag. A bulb seems more substantial.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now