Talk

Advanced search

cucumbers, just picked one.....

(10 Posts)
strawberriesandcream01 Fri 18-Jul-08 09:40:15

Hi. My MIL insisted it was ready, not very long but thick so I picked it. I said it needed longer but she said if I pick it it will give the others a chance to grow more. So I did, it was hard and abit bitter. Surely I should have left it for longer?

prettybird Fri 18-Jul-08 15:10:21

Are you sure it was a cucumber and not a courgette? wink

I picked a small cucumber (thinking it was a ourgette blush) and it was still juicy and sweet.

bellavita Fri 18-Jul-08 15:17:58

Our cucumbers are lovely and sweet, courgettes are nice too smile

strawberriesandcream01 Sat 19-Jul-08 08:57:29

no they are definatley cucumbers off my cucumber plant. Was it too early to pick it do you think?

Furball Sat 19-Jul-08 09:04:54

wishy washy info here

Furball Sat 19-Jul-08 09:06:27

I've bought cucumber like that from a farmers market!

BigBadMousey Sat 19-Jul-08 09:26:09

is it a greenhouse or outdoor variety?

Did you remove the male flowers? If the females get pollenated by the males you will have a bitter cucumber. The problem is worse for greenhouse varieties.

see here for more info - inc photos! smile

snorkle Sat 19-Jul-08 10:02:25

Homegrown cucumbers have a tendency to be bitter as Mousey says due to pollination issues but some varieties are less prone. I've only grown them once and some (but not all) were bitter. They grew to about the length of a wine bottle and weren't too hard. There will be big differences according to variety though.

WelliesAndPyjamas Sun 20-Jul-08 17:14:15

afaik cucumbers are bitter if they haven't had enough watering

flatmouse Sun 20-Jul-08 17:23:27

As i understand it you should sacrifice the first couple for the good of the rest. Ours appear to grow one at a time on our plant (greenhouse). First one picked at about 5" long - was nice to eat but we sliced n stuck in vinegar rest (yum). Second one growing happily think may pick shortly.

I was expecting more of a yield and it needs so much watering it's not exactly an "easy" crop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now