Advanced search

aghhh what are those tiny little black fly things, that just stick to you??

(9 Posts)
piratecat Thu 17-Jul-08 14:25:38

they are thin, and smaller than a grain of rice. they seem to be everywhere, al stuck to cobwebs and to ME!!

Whizzz Thu 17-Jul-08 14:26:19

cornflies - or some call them thunder flies I think

piratecat Thu 17-Jul-08 14:30:58

ah thanks, just googled and they are also knowns as 'thrips' too.

I live about 1/4 mile from fields, and apparently they can become a nuisance when the hay is being cut.

they just crawl about on you and tickle. they are soooooooooo small tho!

Tigerschick Thu 17-Jul-08 14:33:44

I call them 'thrips' and I think I've also heard them referred to a 'Harvest mites'.
They are the ones that get inside picture frames too!

OrmIrian Thu 17-Jul-08 14:36:15



sagacious Thu 17-Jul-08 14:37:18

Round these parts we call them storm flies

And there are bloody loads of them at the moment

MadamAnt Thu 17-Jul-08 14:38:50

I call them thunder flies.

ClareVoiant Thu 17-Jul-08 14:45:27

piratecat are you wearing yellow? i've always found them to be very partial to yellow clothing smile

Minniethemoocher Thu 17-Jul-08 14:48:57

Thunderflies - ithcy mini-beasts, I was once covered in them, so unbearably itchy that I ran into the sea on a hot day, just to get rid of 'em all!! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: