Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant allotment gardening - can it be done?

(9 Posts)
jette Thu 17-Jul-08 13:14:40

Hello - my question is this -

Should I take on an allotment if I'm five months pregnant?

The allotment itself would be about 40 minutes public transport journey away from where I live and work. Also I'm a novice gardener.
I know all this sounds bad but I would really, really love to grow my own! Is it definitely a bad idea? Completely undo-able?

MakemineaGandT Thu 17-Jul-08 20:42:04

it sounds crazy to me I'm afraid! Do you have any garden to plant in? Even a window box to grow salad leaves in?

FILLYJONKhasayarnshopASBO Thu 17-Jul-08 20:46:14

um

big problem, here will be keeping it going after the baby arrives

if it was closer I'd say great

but realistically if it is that far away you will probably start not to go

being pg not huge problem in and of otself IF you have a co-allotmenteer (partner etc)

staranise Thu 17-Jul-08 20:50:04

I wouldn't TBH - nto jsut becaues you're pregnant but because of the distance from your home. We have an allotment and it is literally opposite our house, which given that we are always carting stuff backwards and forwards (garden tools, picked veg etc etc), makes a huge difference. Plus, consider that in the spring/summer when stuff is first growing it really helps if you can go very regularly - we visit daily in late spring summer to do stuff like spray for black fly, and harvest fruti etc.

Plus,. I'm also pg and have found that I do a lot less this year than last year as the digging and bending over in particular jsstu puts too much strain. If you do get an allotment, put in something v low maintenance eg, fruit bushes, until you are able to give it more time. Plus, an allotment is not that child-friendly - not for v young children. We took my friend's one year old today and he spent the whole time trying to eat stones, grab sticks, sit on seedlings etc. but best of luck either way!

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 12:29:37

Thank you for your advice. I guess deep down I knew the answer anyway! Its such a shame that there aren't enough allotments close by to go around..

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 18-Jul-08 12:32:24

No. I thought I could but I couldnt.

Wait until you've had the baby and you arent goign to be feeding it every 2 hours.

milknosugar Fri 18-Jul-08 12:34:37

you can grow loads in tubs you know, carrots and potatos can be done in buckets, salad on window ledge, you can get mini greenhouses for less than £20 which you could use for toms and cucumbers. it si a lot of work im afraid, ours is minutes away and we dont always want to go but when you have spent months growing a plant you dont want to kill it by not watering it one night. when dc get bigger it will be a fun activity for you all, you could always put your name down now for then, you might even get one closer if you can wait

jette Fri 18-Jul-08 15:08:45

I live in a teeny apartment and want more than herbs! We'll have to move out of the city in a year or so, so I'll just have to wait.. the waiting list here is 10 years..
I had visions of myself working hard in the open air while the baby gurgled in some kind of basinette near by - very Soviet? Pretty unrealistic for me though.. booo!

FILLYJONKhasayarnshopASBO Sat 19-Jul-08 07:57:58

ah no, this is not how it works

Are there any allotments closer?

tbh in your situation I'd phone whoever it is in charge of the lists and explain the situation.

Two possibilities might be

1. not going to the BOTTOM of the list again, but perhaps a quarter way down so you could have it back in a year or two

2. Sharing with someone else.

If you are at all not sure and allotments are that scare I'd consider giving it a go, actually, provided there is someone there to take the strain while you give birth and so on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now