Talk

Advanced search

No plums this year :(

(11 Posts)
Tinkjon Thu 17-Jul-08 10:48:59

I've got a small plum tree which yields loads of fruit every year - more than we can eat. This year there are 2 on there shock I haven't done anything to it, any reason it might be refusing to grow fruit this year? I'm so disappointed!

snorkle Thu 17-Jul-08 13:53:13

Some plum trees are like apple trees and need another compatible plum tree nearby to pollinate. Has one of your neighbours cut down a plum or greengage tree since last year? That would explain it.

Uriel Thu 17-Jul-08 13:54:43

Is is a Victoria plum tree? My grandad had one and every now and then it had a rest, and didn't produce any plums at all.

dilbertina Thu 17-Jul-08 13:56:06

Did you over-prune it by any chance? Think that's what I've done to minesad. Mine also currently has a massive aphid infestation which I'm sure can't be helping. On a more positive note you've got 2 more than me!

MrsOnTheMove Thu 17-Jul-08 14:03:40

We planted a Victoria Plum tree last year, it didn't blossom and to be honest doesn't look very healthy - so no plums for us!

Don't know what to do with it now, on one branch the leaves have turned brown, yet other branches have had good growth?

geekgirl Thu 17-Jul-08 14:05:57

we've also not got any fruit on most of our fruit trees this year
Don't know why - the blossoms just seemed to die and drop off.

DaisySteiner Thu 17-Jul-08 14:08:44

Same problem here - plum trees which produce masses and masses have virtually nothing this year. Fortunately we do have another tree which is absolutely laden - just seems to be one particular variety hmm

Tinkjon Fri 18-Jul-08 23:46:42

Thanks for the replies. I've never pruned it - never even touched the thing! I'm not sure if it's a Victoria plum or not. No neighbours have a plum tree. Very odd - guess I will just cross my fingers for next year instead!

woodstock3 Sat 19-Jul-08 14:59:30

i think they alternate between rest and fruitfulness. ours produced more than we could cope with last year and this year hs a few, sad green fruits on high branches and not much else. my mum's also goes between years of barren and years of plenty.

sophierosie Sat 19-Jul-08 17:57:27

I have none this year - DH attempted to prune it and think it may take some time to recover - there was quite a lot of blossom on it but now the leaves are all crinkly and its not looking at all well. Fingers crossed next year is better...

Flamesparrow Sat 19-Jul-08 17:59:46

Oh I miss our neighbours greengage tree.

Gits cut it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now