Talk

Advanced search

does it matter if my plants have gone a bit mental?

(5 Posts)
NigellaTheOriginal Wed 16-Jul-08 19:08:56

I have some raised beds - wasn't expecting all my seedlings to grow and now they look a bit overgrown and cramped. Particularly the courgettes and pumpkins. does it matter do the flowers/fruits need sun?
And why are all my courgettes appear to be male? - like some kind of vegetable gay pride march. any ideas?

Takver Wed 16-Jul-08 19:34:51

I know this sounds heartless, but you're probably better off doing a bit of thinning - stuff usually grows better if it has enough space. Not so much that the fruits need sun as that the plants need space to grow.
With the courgettes, they often make just male flowers for a while before they get going and start making females as well, just be patient & they should get it together.

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 16-Jul-08 19:37:32

not that i'd mind them being homosexual of course. was hoping or some courgette grandbabies some time though.
don't think i could murder anay though - i've known them since they were seeds.I think maybe i'm taking this nurturing a bit far?

Takver Wed 16-Jul-08 19:39:08

Transplanting maybe . . . sort of like fostering out . . .

NigellaTheOriginal Wed 16-Jul-08 19:40:38

aha - will have to create a second bed for them. hurrah - a project for next weekend. will have no lawn left at this rate - the babies will have to play in the road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now