Talk

Advanced search

Do you know why my damson trees don't have any fruit this year?

(8 Posts)
cranmorefifi Wed 16-Jul-08 18:32:09

We've been in our house for about 18 months and inherited some pretty straggly damson trees. Last year we got LOADS of fruit - more than I knew what to do with. This year I think I've seen one fruit. We haven't done anything with them (the shame!) - no pruning, feeding or anything but I'd guess they're pretty well established. The house was empty for 4 years before we moved in as well, so they wouldn't have had any care in that time, and yet they fruited well last year. Any ideas?

Desiderata Wed 16-Jul-08 18:34:34

I think they have one year on and one year off.

Sorry for the non-garden-type-speak, but I'm sure we had the same problem in our garden years ago.

It was feast or famine, alternately.

Desiderata Thu 17-Jul-08 23:04:53

Bump for the rude bint who didn't bother to repond.

Bronze Thu 17-Jul-08 23:07:23

It may be the weather. The ones here havent fruited yet either though last year they were slightly later too.

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Thu 17-Jul-08 23:15:31

Yes, I was put off buying a damson tree by the nursery owner, who warned me that they tend to fruit in alternate years.

choccypig Thu 17-Jul-08 23:18:14

Frost at blossom time I think. I've got 4 kinds of plums at the allotment, and only one has any fruit. My neighbours damsons are also very thin. Previously we had 3 good years in a row.

cranmorefifi Fri 25-Jul-08 08:37:53

Thank you! I think it possibly might be frost??? I vaguely remember that at blossom time. Hopefully better luck next time

sophy Fri 25-Jul-08 21:46:13

Some fruit trees are effectively biennial - get bumper ctop one year followed by poor crop the next.

But is most likely to be due to the late frosts we had this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now