Talk

Advanced search

can i make a compost bin out of an old nappy bin?

(11 Posts)
bonnyb1 Tue 15-Jul-08 22:13:03

I've been clearing out my shed today (and screaming at the spiders), and I found an old sanex plastic nappy bin thing, with a lid on it. Is there a way I could turn it into a compost bin because I need one (am currently a compost virgin) or is this just a ridiculous idea?

Pinkveto Tue 15-Jul-08 22:14:52

Check out the bins on wiggly wigglers. com.

There are bins around that are a single bin, but I'd guess you'd be best to run a bokashi system.

I have a wormery (can o worms) which is a tray system, it makes harvesting compost easier.

If you do have just bins you need at least 2, one to be filling, and one to be rotting.

ravenAK Tue 15-Jul-08 22:14:58

Can you saw it open at the bottom?

You really need it to touch the ground to encourage the worms.

It also probably needs to be at least dustbin sized?

bonnyb1 Tue 15-Jul-08 22:32:47

it is a bit smaller than a dustbin, my dh could probably saw off the bottom, but I think it is a doomed idea and I need to get a proper one. Can you recommend a cheap uncommplicated one? My council doesn't do discounted ones like some places.
I have absolutely no idea what a bokashi system is but it sounds very difficult and maybe oriental.

Pinkveto Tue 15-Jul-08 22:34:31

Bokashi is a microbial bran that helps rotting!! Good for small bins/kitchen waste type stuff.

Now wondering if it is from the Orient....

bonnyb1 Tue 15-Jul-08 22:39:28

lol could be! I've been meaning to start composting for a while I feel guilty every time I chuck out peelings.

suwoo Tue 15-Jul-08 22:43:24

I got mine after one google for £7. Try it.

bonnyb1 Tue 15-Jul-08 23:01:33

£7? wow thats cheap do you remember website name? Cheapest i've seen has been more than twice this.

suwoo Tue 15-Jul-08 23:10:49

I'll have a look, it was in the discontinued ones and was delivered for free.

suwoo Tue 15-Jul-08 23:12:31

It was this one buy a cheap compost bin here

bonnyb1 Sat 19-Jul-08 09:12:10

thanks suwoo, the cheapest in my area is £17, which isn't too bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now