Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How severe can I prune my plants?

(14 Posts)
Swilt Fri 04-Feb-05 18:05:47

I could do with abit of advice here. I've neglected my garden for several years now and its seriously become overgrown. Plants that I am concerned about are choiysa, spring flowering clematis, camelia and forsythia, I know some of those plants can't withstand severe pruning but I haven't got much choice. What will happen if I do it anyway, will my plants die

SofiaAmes Fri 04-Feb-05 22:29:11

My mother always said that if my father came out after she was done pruning and said "oh my god what have you done" she knew she'd pruned enough.

trefusis Fri 04-Feb-05 22:33:42

Message withdrawn

Swilt Fri 04-Feb-05 22:39:11

Did you actually prune forsythia right down to the base then? Is that a stupid question?

trefusis Sat 05-Feb-05 11:41:35

Message withdrawn

Swilt Sat 05-Feb-05 11:53:50

Thanks, I'll give that a go then.

boudicca Sat 05-Feb-05 12:18:03

I never prune anything untill the risk of frost is over ,but I'm not an expert

trefusis Sat 05-Feb-05 12:19:47

Message withdrawn

boudicca Sat 05-Feb-05 12:26:55

I think your advice was excellent Trefusis, you seem to know what you're doing - I use the 'poke it and see' method often myself-and not just for plants !

jangly Sat 05-Feb-05 13:13:07

If it flowers before June - prune right after flowering. If it blooms later than June, prune January to March. (if that helps at all) You cut rock roses back hard after first flush of flowers to induce another flowering, and to prolong the life of the plant.

KristinaM Sat 05-Feb-05 13:18:02

choiysa, spring flowering clematis, camelia and forsythia...are mostly spring flowering. if you prune them now you wont get any flowers this year. also the new growth will be vulnerable to frost damage. Better to cut them back after they have flowered. the forsythia will be Ok cut back hard. go easy on the evergreens

Swilt Sat 05-Feb-05 13:27:30

Would they suffer greatly if I cut back the evergreens by about a third?

jangly Sat 05-Feb-05 13:45:18

I wouldn't touch any of those four until after flowering now.

KristinaM Sat 05-Feb-05 13:48:10

I think a third woudl be fine but not now, as Jangly says, after flowering. Are they too big or too thick IYSWIM?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now