Talk

Advanced search

black fly (i think ) on my runner beans, an organic solution?

(3 Posts)
lucyellensmum Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:09

Short of carrying a matchbox with me where ever i go and pulling the wings off of lady birds so they can't just feck off when i bring them home, how do i get rid of these, we had them towards the end of the season last year but this year they are already infested, will i lose my crops?

choufleur Tue 15-Jul-08 19:41:27

soapy water sprayyed on to them helps (is that organic or does it depend on the type of soap?)

BigBadMousey Tue 15-Jul-08 19:46:13

nettle tea plus ecological washing up liquid is very good against blackfly

bung nettle plants in a bucket (not the roots though) fill to brim with water. Leave in a cool, dark place for 5 days. Remove leaves from bucket (add to compost bin).

To use - dilute one part tea to 5 parts water (tis strong stuff) and use as a natural insecticide or an effective fertiliser.

If you add washing up liquid that will damage any ladybirds and their larvae present but will make the solution more effective - its up to you (poor ladybirds ).

You could just try making up nettle tea from tea bags but that won't need diluting andwon't be as effective.

Also make sure you have pinched the tops out of your plants if they have reached the top of the canes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now