Talk

Advanced search

My biggest pest...

(17 Posts)
Mung Sun 13-Jul-08 21:19:59

I have blackfly, damping off and just out right failures in my garden. The one thing that I was really proud of and pleased with were my blueberries until my biggest pest (DD) pulled off most of the green ones in search of a tasty blue one today angry.

I am ready to throw in the towel with this veg growing lark. I try so hard and seem to get nowhere.

fishie Sun 13-Jul-08 21:26:28

it takes a while to work out what will thrive and what won't. next year your dd will be really interested in seeing how they are / aren't ready and to see the developing fruits.

no idea why but this year i have stupendous flowers and useless veg. i put very little effort into the flowers, perhaps that is why.

Mung Sun 13-Jul-08 21:31:46

stupendous...I hope I'll be able to use that word next year when talking about my garden. I have decided that I need to take serious action on the soil...lots of hourse manure, I reckon.

zaphod Sun 13-Jul-08 21:37:46

My biggest pests this year are ds's and their friends playing football. Sunflowers and cosmos broken in two, container plants squashed by balls.....and I've no room to complain because they are off their bloody computer games for once.

MsPontipine Sun 13-Jul-08 21:39:38

I must mention my stupendous Winston Churchill Fuschia. The flowers are all in bloom - I moved it this afternoon (in a pot) so I can admire it more from inside.

Everything else - Tumbling Toms, peppers, sunflowers, passion flower are a bit hmm!

idontbelieveit Sun 13-Jul-08 21:40:21

My biggest pests are the total c*s that came into my garden last night and stole my plants! angry angry Going to buy some vandal paint tomorrow.

fishie Sun 13-Jul-08 21:40:59

my garden is very small and shady but luckily there is a large common opposite so ds can do his damage there.

i was so cheered today to see a frog, do hope it stays.

fishie Sun 13-Jul-08 21:41:33

idb crikey. what did they take?

zaphod Sun 13-Jul-08 21:41:51

I think nothing is growing properly because of the weather. Where I live we've had about 5 hours of sunshine in the last fortnight. And after all the work I've put into the veg especially, it just KILLS me.

zaphod Sun 13-Jul-08 21:42:50

That's awful, IBD.

fishie Sun 13-Jul-08 22:01:07

zaphod. my courgettes have produced three round yellows which do not grow and no green ones whatsoever from other plant, which seems to be producing leaves only. slugs have eaten top of pepper plant. beans are almost dormant.

tomatoes (usually my easy crop) are tiny and not doing much. the only doer is wild strawberries but ds and woodlice eat all of them.

idontbelieveit Sun 13-Jul-08 22:06:30

They took all my lettuces!!! They were just ready, we were going to have salad for lunch today, it's the first time i've grown them so i was really excited [bit of a loser emoticon} and were in some terracotta window box type containers which must be why they took them. Also a lemon conifer which my mum bought for me and a couple of smaller pots. They did the whole block, there was soil and bits of pot all over the streets around us today.

idontbelieveit Sun 13-Jul-08 22:07:32

They probably went to a car boot today sad

fishie Sun 13-Jul-08 22:13:10

what a shame sad am hoping to plant some lettuce tomorrow, will think of yours as i sow idb.

bettythebuilder Sun 13-Jul-08 22:49:25

idbi that's awful!

Mung, I had a rubbish veg year last year (the first I'd tried to grow decent crops of easy stuff like toms, lettuce, radishes etc, too!).
Almost nothing grew (although dd was helping me plant the seeds, and I think I was lovingly watering a lot of empty pots of compost )

This year, despite the weather, things are growing well- tomatoes, lettuce, radish, beans, mange tout and some good flowers like sweet peas, dahlias, nasturtiums.
Yet I don't think I've done anything hugely different! And it's despite finding a rabbit in the garden the other day. A rabbit! And I live in suburbia! I sent my pest (dd) after it, and it's not been back

kittenloren Mon 14-Jul-08 10:33:41

idb - I really feel for you & your neighbours. sad

Are you going to try and get some more bits going? I have plenty of veg seed left over (spinach, beetroot, peas, probably lots of others!) and will happily stick them in the post to you.

Or if you're anywhere near Hull you'd be welcome to come and take some of my over-zealously planted toms off my hands?

idontbelieveit Mon 14-Jul-08 11:22:58

Thanks kittenl. I have lots of seeds left so am going to get planting once dh finishes for the summer holidays on thurs.
Off to wilko for the vandal paint once dd wakes from her nap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now