Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone grown gherkins?

(6 Posts)
Smithagain Sun 13-Jul-08 17:53:33

We are growing gherkins in our veg plot this year, as an experiment and because DH and both children are strangely addicted to pickled gherkins.

We have a few that are big enough to pick and pickle. But not enough for a whole jar.

Anyone know whether you can pick a few at a time, pickle them, and then keep adding more as and when they are ready?

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 13-Jul-08 18:02:38

I'm not sure but I would imagine so, I think that they are easy to pickle. You could at least pickle them, then pickle the next lot in a new jar and then mix them all together when they are done, in case you are worries about some being more pickled than others, IYSWIM.

Mung Sun 13-Jul-08 21:33:04

Now, I always thought a gherkin was a pickled little cucumber...

Smithagain Sun 13-Jul-08 21:47:10

I think it is, more or less. The plants are indistinguishable from cucumber plants (also growing them). Maybe it's just a different variety that pickles well??

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 14-Jul-08 08:15:42

Well, a gherkin is only a pickled cucumber, you don't grow gherkins as such, they are small cucumbers and it becomes a gherkin when pickled.

It must be a variety good for pickling that has been rebranded a gherkin.

Smithagain Mon 14-Jul-08 10:46:16

Think you're right, Lazyline... The seeds were labelled gherkin, but we've certainly had some difficultly distinguishing them from the cucumbers which we are aiming to grow for salad.

Think we'll try doing them as you suggest and see how we get on. To be honest, the rest of the family eats them so fast, it's not going to matter if the pickling isn't perfect. Not much chance of them lasting for weeks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now