Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

cuttings from lavender?

(9 Posts)
woodstock3 Sat 12-Jul-08 17:32:20

i want some more lavender plants but am too mean to buy them. can i take cuttings from the ones i've got? how (ignoramus question) do you do it and when's the best time of year?

GentleOtter Sat 12-Jul-08 17:40:09

lavender cuttings

JackieNo Sat 12-Jul-08 17:43:21

Also keep an eye out round the plant you have - I keep finding little seedlings in the gravel round ours, and I've so far only moved one to another place, but it's doing quite nicely. I can see 4 or 5 more - must get round to moving them somewhere where we will actually want a lavender plant, rather than the middle of the pathgrin.

Tnoog Sat 12-Jul-08 17:44:20

I've just bought rooting powder for this very purpose so very interested in reading when, how and if you can.

clicks on GO's link.

Tatties Sat 12-Jul-08 17:48:50

Ooh I want to know this too

expatinscotland Sat 12-Jul-08 17:50:17

lurking here, because i want to do this with the HUGE rosemary bush in the garden here - as we don't own the place.

PrimulaVeris Sat 12-Jul-08 17:51:13

My parents have grown several generations of lavender hedges and borders all from cuttings. Works really well, so long as you root a few more than you think you'll need. Brilliant link by GO

JackieNo Sat 12-Jul-08 17:51:41

Yes - what is it with rosemary? Ours is enormous, and we don't use it that often in cooking. Sometimes I have to hack it back, and I stick the cuttings in a bucket out the front, with a note to people to help themselves. Sage too.

woodstock3 Sat 12-Jul-08 19:26:57

thankyou otter - looks simple enough that even a fule like me could do it. will have a go at rosemary too
<overconfident now and on a roll>
what else makes good cuttings? would fuchsias work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now