Talk

Advanced search

Organic pesticide

(5 Posts)
Mung Thu 10-Jul-08 21:32:05

I read a 'recipe' for natural pesticide in the paper last week and I cannot find it now. All I know was that it has marigold leaves and garlic in. Does anyone have a similar recipe, as I am sick of the black fly on my broad beans. They have now started on my strawberries and I am getting fed up of trying to rub them off.
I have tried soap solution and I didn't have much luck.

BigBadMousey Thu 10-Jul-08 21:45:43

nettle tea plus ecological washing up liquid is very good against blackfly

bung nettle plants in a bucket (not the roots though) fill to brim with water. Leave in a cool, dark place for 5 days. Remove leaves from bucket (add to compost bin).

To use - dilute one part tea to 5 parts water (tis strong stuff) and use as a natural insecticide or an effective fertiliser.

If you add washing up liquid that will damage any ladybirds and their larvae present but will make the solution more effective - its up to you (poor ladybirds sad).

You could just try making up nettle tea from tea bags but that won't need diluting andwon't be as effective.

This one is probably more effective against blackfly than the marigold and garlic recipe.

Mung Fri 11-Jul-08 08:16:49

I have been hunting for ladybirds and cannot find any...where are they all when I need them? I have a great feast for them and they just aren't about. When I was in France a few months ago, I saw them selling ladybirds in a garden centre...no such thing here.

Thanks for the recipe...I'll get brewing.

Uriel Fri 11-Jul-08 09:36:41

Mung, ladybirds here

BigBadMousey Fri 11-Jul-08 09:46:30

I think they are hiding from the bad weather atm (shame the aphids aren't doing the same). We had a lot of larvae earlier on but I can't find any ladybirds or larvae right now (although that may be something to do with the fact I haven't strimmed round the veggie patch for 6 weeks grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now