Talk

Advanced search

Another tomato question - Tumbling Toms

(15 Posts)
ProfYaffle Thu 10-Jul-08 11:45:54

Does anyone have any experience with this variety? I've got mine in 2 hanging baskets, I think the front of the basket got a bit scorched in the hot weather (we did have some didn't we? Or did I dream it?) and those plants are looking a bit ropey but the ones at the back, near the wall, much healthier. I've watered (when it's not raining) and fed reasonably diligently. Looked at them this morning and noticed that a lot of the flowers seems to be dieing off without producing tomatoes. i've only got about 3 green toms in each basket.

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

ProfYaffle Thu 10-Jul-08 17:45:30

bumpity bump - anyone?

chipo Thu 10-Jul-08 18:16:22

I have the same variety in baskets and the same thing is happening to mine, teach me for try to be all fancy with my toms.

WilfSell Thu 10-Jul-08 18:18:07

we have many on our tumblers but none ripening yet (grrr bloody rain) - in pots though not HBs and south facing spot...

ProfYaffle Thu 10-Jul-08 18:20:25

I did notice there were some in hanging baskets at our local (v good) garden centre which were exactly the same as mine so that made me feel better. Maybe it's the weather? My courgettes are starting to rot too.

MsPontipine Thu 10-Jul-08 20:11:56

Hi - my Tumbling Toms look nice and happy in their pots. I have no flowers at all yet though - we did plant them a bit late - 1st week in May - we're giving them lots of tlc should I still stay optimistic?

hotbot Thu 10-Jul-08 20:36:06

Minw are fine too, although the hanging ones look a bit sad, i think its becasue i should have planted one of them in a basket - mum took delivery and removed the labels grrr
have yuo fed them?

Mung Thu 10-Jul-08 21:19:27

Same problem here. I think that I have put too many in one basket and they have too much sun. I will give them one more attempt next year, with one in a basket before giving up on this variety

ProfYaffle Thu 10-Jul-08 21:21:27

Ooh, maybe mine are overcrowded, I've got about 4 in a pot shock I might pull out the ropier looking ones .....

woodstock3 Sat 12-Jul-08 17:04:58

i did em in hanging baskets last year and they were ok but i also did one in a pot, combined with some erbs, and that did much better. think they can dry out too easily in baskets

ClareVoiant Sun 13-Jul-08 09:52:33

mine seem to be doing really well. i have 2 plants in one basket (lined with polythene to keep the water in). i wondered if i'd overdone it as they're getting pretty big. they have lots of flowers and a couple of toms are starting to show. however, they are on a wall that only gets sun in the morning and they are half hidden behind the parasol. i did wonder if they were getting enough sun, but from some of your posts its seems that less is more.
anyway, does anyone know if tomatorite goes off? i've got some thats a few years old, will it be ok to use?

saffy202 Sun 13-Jul-08 10:50:27

I have two plants one tumbling and one common The common one is doing very well with lots of tomatoes but the tumbling has plenty of flowers but no tomatoes as yet

missingtheaction Sun 13-Jul-08 15:17:51

no tomatoes after flowers means the flowers didn't get pollinated - if the weather was horrid the insects stayed at home, or they might be in a spot where the bees etc just flew past. But it may be that they are just being very slow - give them a little bit of time. If you keep feeding and watering them dilligently they may have another go with some more flowers.

A good way of attracting more insects to them is to put some insect-attracting flowers in or around them - they need to be ones that have nectar so the best ones are yellow ones without lots of petals - very basic marigolds are good. You might find some very cheap ones at the garden centre still.

Tomatoes do need lots of water and food and heat to be good - if you shove loads in one basket they will be fine as long as you water them and feed them religiously. Most planting composts only have enough food in them to last about 6 weeks so even if you give them lots of space they still need food and water.

Don't know about tomorite going off CV, sorry!

MsPontipine Tue 12-Aug-08 00:30:48

All seven of our plants have tiny tomatoes growing - hurrah!! I did the paintbrush tickling thing - so I shall be taking some of the crdeit!

ClareVoiant Sat 16-Aug-08 08:45:00

thats good to hear msP. smile weve just got back from holiday and i was expecting to be munching on lovely ripe tomatoes, but though they are bigger, they're still green. i guess the weather here has been rubbish too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now