(9 Posts)
irishbird Wed 09-Jul-08 23:37:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gigglewitch Wed 09-Jul-08 23:45:26

grin
just came to be nosey but am afraid I can't answer either of your posers hmm
bump anyway....

callmeovercautious Wed 09-Jul-08 23:46:48

Do you know what variety they are? Different varieties need different "pruning".

Cordons need their side shoots pulling off, bush types you just leave. You can leave both but might need to take some leaves off later in the summer to let the sun at the fruit to ripen.

As for the brown marks this could be "blossom end rot". Have they been damp a lot? Or in a very humid environment? Ventilate the greenhouse and remove affected fruit (it won't be nice to eat) and the rest might still be good. Some varieties are more prone to this than others. Can you post a picture on your profile?

Frizbe Wed 09-Jul-08 23:47:49

No haircut, but start pinching out the newer shoots as they start appearing now, this will help your fruit grow, the plant will self prune from the bottom leaves upwards as it gets towards the end of its growing/fruiting season. Just give it lots of tomato food now that you have fruit! The brown markings are probably due to needing more food? (any more ideas anyone?)

Frizbe Wed 09-Jul-08 23:48:35

ooooh call me, never knew that smile

irishbird Wed 09-Jul-08 23:54:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

callmeovercautious Thu 10-Jul-08 00:01:27

Well you can leave them but as they won't be nice to eat they just take food from others that may be OK later in the season.

Toms are very greedy so should be fed weekly with a tomato food, does not sound like your problem to me though. If outside then it could be a number of other things like the wind "burning" them, or has it got a nit cold where you are? I always grow ours in the greenhouse so I am limited to that I am afraid.

snorkle Thu 10-Jul-08 10:14:44

blossom end rot is more likely in indoor toms that have confined roots than outdoor ones - Mine have suffered this year sad. I understand it's caused a mineral deficiency in the soil (but not one that regular tomato food will cure), and is helped somewhat by regular watering. Its characterised by the end of the tomato opposite the stalk going brown (moreso the more severe it is).

VeniVidiVickiQV Thu 10-Jul-08 10:17:41

Sounds more like blossom end rot tbh.

Irregular watering is the problem with these.

Toms dont need pinching out or trimming, but, if you have cordon varieties then it's best to so that they put the energy in to producing and ripening fruit rather than growing leaves.

What variety of tomato are they?

Are they in a grow bag?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now