Talk

Advanced search

weeds

(12 Posts)
nailpolish Tue 01-Feb-05 09:33:19

hi just looking for some advice from you wise gardeners!

i have a lawn with large borders around it. in the borders are big shrubs but there is gaps in between where i have a big problem with weeds. whats the best way to keep weeds at bay?

also, lawn has started to get weeds such as dandelions and clover. whats the best way to keep lawn weed free?

i thank you v much IA

nailpolish Tue 01-Feb-05 09:34:04

are gaps i should say..

SarahBee Tue 01-Feb-05 09:45:09

In the borders, cheat and put down that fabric stuff that covers the soil and doesn't let the weeds through, you can then cover it with bark chips to make it look a bit better. Ideally you dig out all existing weeds and roots first. With the lawn you've probably got to dig the dandelions out as the roots are pretty tough and it'll keep growing back. But once it's in ok condition you can keep it like that by spreading that weed and feed stuff regularly. I'm not a gardener and haven't achieved any of this in my garden yet, but I've done the research so I can share that if not the experience!

CookieMonster Tue 01-Feb-05 10:04:39

nailpolish, my dh is a gardener and he has done exactly what SarahBee suggests with all our borders. He dug some of the soil out first so as to lower the level, got as many of the weeds out as possible, dosed with weedkiller and then put down the fabric. A few bags of bark chips on top and hey presto - maintenance free borders!

Not sure about the lawn - I'll ask him when he comes back later today.

nailpolish Tue 01-Feb-05 10:10:36

thanks - never thought of the bark - ive seen it in other gardens and quite like it too.

sigh at the thought of weeding - hate it hate it hate it but if i do it properly and get the chips then maybe ill keep them at bay a bit better

i was a bit worried at putting weedkiller in the borders in case of damaging the shrubs - can anyone recommend one?

LOL sarahbee - im like that too about stuff - i do the research but stop there! thanks for tip re weed and feed - ill try and do that asap for the summer

xxx

Satine Tue 01-Feb-05 10:19:15

You could also use low growing ground cover plants under the shrubs, too, like thyme, camomile, sweet williams, er, can't think of any more but will do some research for you! They suppress the weeds and can look pretty! I'm the laziest gardener in the world and hate weeding!

nailpolish Tue 01-Feb-05 10:43:50

hi

er, do these plants need lots of maintenance? and are they the kind that only last a year and you have to replace them?

i like the idea, the gaps in between the shrubs are quite big and i dont have much cash to buy lots and lots of plants, or time to look after them.

quick growing plants would be great too

god, im such a lazy gardener myself

Bozza Tue 01-Feb-05 11:24:46

Think you are actually supposed to wait until spring (ie March/April) to apply the "weed and feed" - ie grass is not growing (much) ATM so does not need feeding.

nailpolish Tue 01-Feb-05 11:43:06

i thought that too bozza - ill wait til then

i also need a weedkiller that is safe for children as well as one i can use in between the shrubs

anyone got any suggestions? thanks

Satine Tue 01-Feb-05 12:15:43

Can't advise about child friendly weedkillers but as far as ground cover plants are concerned, they pretty much look after themselves. You might need to trim them in spring if they are spreading too much but they are quite sel sufficient and will last for years, you don't have to replant them. I'm hopeless at links but if you look at a website called www.crocus.co.uk and type in 'evergreen ground cover' or 'flowering ground cover' you'll see a few different possibilities, from low growing roses to pretty periwinkles. They are really helpful when answering questions sent by email, too, so you can always ask them which plants would be best for you. Good luck!

Satine Tue 01-Feb-05 12:16:29

In fact I bet they'd be able to advise you on weedkillers, too!

nailpolish Tue 01-Feb-05 12:50:55

thanks satine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now