Talk

Advanced search

how do i stop frogs coming in garden - i am terrified

(45 Posts)
yentil Sat 03-May-08 21:51:08

just moved to a new house and had a pond filled with concrete then turfed over. now seeing frogs (i guess from hibernating over winter) and I am terrified of themsad, which means i am now scared to go into garden. please help what do i do. how many will come up and from where.

maidamess Sat 03-May-08 21:55:44

No advice but am fellow frog phobic! I know EXACTLY where you are coming from! I think frogs will be in your garden whether you had a pond there or not. Just be on your guard all the time!

expatinscotland Sat 03-May-08 21:56:45

You've frogs already?

We've only got tadpoles.

envy

fleximum Sat 03-May-08 21:57:57

Frogs will always return to their original pond to spawn each year. Don't know any way of preventing them but hopefully now you've got rid of the pond they will get the hint fairly quickly and go again.

Frizbe Sat 03-May-08 22:01:09

Hate to tell you this, but frogs will come back, year after year to their old pond, even if its gone, my friends garden used to get loads of them, and the pond was long gone there.Sorry.

pointydog Sat 03-May-08 22:01:09

Maybe this could be an opportunity to get over the phobia.

If not, make sure there's no water in your garden and they'll bugger off.

yentil Sat 03-May-08 22:11:31

oh no, how many can i expect to see. my DH took one away today and left it in local parkshock. should we just kep taking them away

expatinscotland Sat 03-May-08 22:12:21

i would NOT relocate them!

this can spread disease.

expatinscotland Sat 03-May-08 22:12:39

get a cat.

mine eats tadpoles.

Yurtgirl Sat 03-May-08 22:13:52

Would you prefer rats yentil?

Wild horrid rats are in my garden freaking me out - Ill happily take all your froggies if youll have my rats instead

Frogs are lovely compared to rats surely - Sorry if that sound flippant to a frog phobic but Im eeeeeeeeeeek about rats

KatyMac Sat 03-May-08 22:15:00

My cat eats frogs sad

Are they frogs tho' or toads

We have tonnes of toads

The cat eats them too sad

yentil Sat 03-May-08 22:16:06

i would put house on market if it came to rats. I am animal phobic fullstop, lgacy of my paents. th smallr the worse iget. there must be a solution?

yentil Sat 03-May-08 22:17:01

so many typos, i am sooo freaked out. maybe i need hypnosissmile

yentil Sat 03-May-08 22:18:01

will they come in the house? I have a few steps leading up to back door a we ae on a hill.

MaureenMLove Sat 03-May-08 22:19:15

I feel your pain Yentil. I am ridiculously scared of them too. We used to have loads. My garden was badly over grown when we moved in and steadily over the years I have taken it right back to very small flower beds and pots. Every time one jumped out at me (because they do, if you're scared shitless!) I couldn't return to that part of the garden for ages. I still see the occasional one, but very few now. The last one I saw was actually in nextdoors garden and I was frozen ridged, until dh caught it and evicted it!

Fridayfeeling Sat 03-May-08 22:19:42

This cat with frog thing - has anyone experienced the ear piercing screech that comes from a frog as it is being tortured by a cat??

SOunds like a murder. Which I suppose it is actually blush ( Not as bad as mating foxes though - that really is child in pain scream!)

MaureenMLove Sat 03-May-08 22:21:31

I had one in the house a little while back, actually. I think it must have come in on DH's work bag which had been outside the front door for a couple of hours. Sadly, I found it hiding under a coat, which was draped on the radiator. It was 6.30 in the morning and I screamed the house down, until DH was up! grin

MaureenMLove Sat 03-May-08 22:22:40

I heard a frog make that noise. When I killed it, unintentionally, with the lawn mower! grin 1 - 0 to the gardener, I say!

fishie Sat 03-May-08 22:26:47

maureenmlove sad how awful sad

it was probably a toad. frogs and toads don't always live in water they live in your gardens. they eat slugs and other things you would rather not have so please do try to live along side them.

MaureenMLove Sat 03-May-08 22:30:00

It was an accident, promise! Trust me, if I had seen it, I would have run in the other direction, not killed it! I can't even look at a picture of one, without feeling icky!

expatinscotland Sat 03-May-08 22:30:18

my sister once squelched a toad on the pavement on a dark, hot summer night.

with the heel of her dr. scholl sandal.

it was utterly repugnant.

MaureenMLove Sat 03-May-08 22:32:22

My toes are curling at the thought of that Expat. I found a dried up one in my greenhouse once too and I had to get DH to remove that too! I really am quite irrational about them!

expatinscotland Sat 03-May-08 22:34:53

she actually slid a bit and grabbed my arm and said, 'i think i stepped on something.'

i had a torch, we were just going a few doors down to a neighbours' house.

she shrieked and shrieked when she saw squished toad and refused to put her foot down at all.

i had to run and get my mother to stand with her whilst i ran back to the house to get her some other shoes.

my dad hosed the toad off, but she refused to wear those sandals again.

luckily, i had no problem with them .

i'd been covetuous of them for a while, so way i saw it, that toad was just a faerie gifting me the shoes.

MaureenMLove Sat 03-May-08 22:38:56

Well, that was a stroke of luck! I once had a beautiful pair of long black, furlined boots. I was only about 7 and they were my pride and joy. I got them out of the cupboard under the stairs one day and just as I was putting my foot in, a mouse jumped out! I never wore those boots again! sad

Threadwworm Sat 03-May-08 22:41:30

I've done the accidental heel scrunch. And the lawnmower thing (well, strimmer actually). And the putting-on-a-wellington-boot-with-a-toad-in-it thing. And, worst of all, the accidental-spade-cuts-toad-instead-of-soil thing.

Poor creatures. I am actually quite scared of them and had to get DS2 to act as bodyguard while I worked on a froggy part of the greenhouse the other day. But I don't want to hurt themsad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now